E30 318Is Dashboard capacitors..

Hi!.

I must replace on my E30 318Is 1990 dashboard capacitors but I cant found on the new any site where I can see the values of dashboard capacitors to buy ... I only found

for E34,please can anyone knows link where I can found that info.. Thank's

Reply to
Lun

Its printed on the side of the originals something like 470uF 24V (this is NOT the value just an example)

Reply to
steve-caner

Yes I know but I need those values in advance to go and buy it and than dissemble dashboard and to finish the work at the time...

Reply to
Lun

Why? The reference you later mention refers to the E34. I have never heard of any E30 having such a problem. Inoperative gages are usually the fault of the SI board. Inappropriate warning lights (like BRAKE) usually caused by a transistor on the main PCB.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Tell us why you have to replace these parts. I have a 318is and would like to know.

Reply to
Jack

I have problems with fuel and temperature gauges sometimes don't work or work jumping up and down...

"any E30 having such a problem. Inoperative gages are usually the fault of the SI board. Inappropriate warning lights (like BRAKE) usually caused by a transistor on the main PCB"

please PCB stand's for?

Reply to
Lun

PCB would be "printed circuit board" meaning the main circuit board of the instrument cluster. Some of the instruments like the speedo and tach contain their own circuit boards.

Regarding the intermittent temp and fuel gages, I have found that just removing those instruments from the main circuit board and cleaning the connector contacts will usually fix them. Each of the instruments plugs into the main board and is held in place with one or two screws. Some people say that you should also resolder all the soldered connections on the main board while you have it out or at least inspect it for any 'cold' solder connections. If that doesn't fix it, the next step would be to buy a used cluster on Ebay for about $75 and swap out the faulty gages. Of course there's always a chance that the gages in the used unit are faulty also so it's best to swap the whole cluster first just to see what works. If everything works and you don't care about the mileage you can just leave it in. As you can see from the above, when you get done with this you will be an expert at removing the instrument cluster. I could get mine out in less than 15 minutes after the third time.

Reply to
Jack

Thanks to al I will try to clean up the PCB and than I will if all be ok...

Reply to
Lun

My E30's gauges stopped working; turned out some wires had come off the back of the instrument cluster because the nuts holding on the ring lugs had come unscrewed. You might not need a capacitor.

R> I have problems with fuel and temperature gauges sometimes don't work or

Reply to
Ron