Fuel consumption sensor

Temp gauge on my '87 316 E30 BMW was jiggling. I spent a lot of time on removing it, cleaning and soldering contacts (soldering contacts helped but when fully warmed up needle on gauge was not vertical), so I decided to change complete instrument cluster.

This "new" one (from the wrecks) has fuel consumption gauge, and 318 was written on it. How does that work? What sort of sending unit does it use? Is it only for fuel injected engines? I have carburetor so can I add sensor somewhere (I guess it is some vacuum measuring sensor) and make some use of that gauge?

When I start engine now needle just goes from left to right.

Reply to
Yvan

Assuming it worked to begin with(why did you buy used?), do this:

If it doesn't work after this, bmaparts.com.

Reply to
Enoch Root

Nedavno Enoch Root pise:

| Assuming it worked to begin with(why did you buy used?)

Because used costs only ~GBP 7.50.

| do this: | |

I will check that on my old one.

But I only wanted to knew if I can use this fuel consumption gauge. Originally my BMW did not have it, and I can easily pull RPM/Fuel Consumption gauge out, and put my RPM only gauge.

Reading more this NG archives it looks to me that this is only for fuel injected models (and, as I wrote, I have carburetor). But no harm in asking.

| If it doesn't work after this, bmaparts.com.

No, I will exchange RPM gauges.

Reply to
Yvan

I see. You want to modify it. It's not fun. Here is an example:

Good luck.

ER

Reply to
Enoch Root

Nedavno Enoch Root pise:

| I see. You want to modify it. It's not fun. Here is an example: | |

| | Good luck.

Thank you for your time, but id did not help. My instrument cluster (E30) does not look at all like the one in E34. Second link is for adding more gauges (E34 again). I wanted to knew if there was a sensor for fuel consumption gauge, so I can add one. Unfortunately, there is no sensor, fuel consumption is calculated from amount of fuel injected, and speed of the car. I have carburetor, so I can not use this gauge.

Reply to
Yvan

If it's not physically possible with a carburetor then ... Anyhow, I'm sorry I can't help. I wish I could since you're a linux guy and all. Till next time. Peace bro.

Reply to
Enoch Root

I'm not sure if BMW fitted this gauge to carb cars, but one the way fuel use is measured on others with carbs is by a small turbine fitted in the fuel line.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nedavno Dave Plowman (News) pise:

| I'm not sure if BMW fitted this gauge to carb cars, but one the way | fuel use is measured on others with carbs is by a small turbine | fitted in the fuel line.

I knew that, that's why I asked how does it work. But after some research on the Internet i found that it can not work on carb BMW-s.

Reply to
Yvan

Worked just fine on my '88 E30 316 (1.8 M10 carb).

Reply to
John Burns

Nedavno John Burns pise:

| > I knew that, that's why I asked how does it work. But after some | > research on the Internet i found that it can not work on carb BMW-s. | | Worked just fine on my '88 E30 316 (1.8 M10 carb).

Really? All the info I found seems to point that this gauge shows how much fuel is INJECTED in correlation with speed. Any idea where sensor is? On a fuel line? Vacuum?

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno John Burns pise:

| Worked just fine on my '88 E30 316 (1.8 M10 carb).

I spent couple of hours trying to find how this fuel economy gauge works, where is the sensor, and it seems that opinions are that either it is for fuel injected BMW's only, or it may be that it is vacuum sensor but no one has seen it.

I would really appreciate some help here, it seems that this gauge also affects oil and inspection service intervals (one opinion in this NG), and as mine is shut at max fuel consumption I will not get accurate reading's.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno John Burns pise:

I checked my Bentley, Haynes and some German E30 manual, no sign of sensor for fuel economy gauge.

Anyone with '88 316 1.8 M10 carb engine that can verify/help?

Reply to
me