E30 325i engine shudder

Hi all, I have just recently bought another E30, a 1991 325 convertible to replace the 320 i already have. The new car runs perfectly when driven but at idle there's a bit of a shudder from the engine every now and then. You can feel it shaking the car a bit when sat in a traffic jam for example, not constantly, just a few shudders every 10 seconds or so. I replaced the rubber engine mounts to see if they were to blame but it made no difference. The idle speed stays totally constant even when it shudders. With the engine running and the bonnet up, you can feel and see the shudder while at idle although you can't really hear it, no change of engine note or anything. Once driving the engine runs perfectly.

The car's done 97000 miles and had a full service/inspection 2 just before I took ownership. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with M20s or have an idea what it could be?

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
MarkS

I'd try cleaning the idle control valve and checking the rotor arm / distributor isn't worn out. I'd also check for air leaks in the intake hoses.

Reply to
John Burns

Thanks John, I might try spraying some carb cleaner around the hoses then. The main intake boot that normally fails on these seems to be quite new looking at it, so I suspect that's been replaced recently already. Good idea on the distributor too, hadn't thought of that, although you'd think that it would cause problems at higher revs too wouldn't it?

Reply to
MarkS

Maybe it is. It'll wear gradually so all you'll notice is a slow decline in high end power and fuel economy.

Reply to
John Burns

Idle misfire is often down to a poor spark - for whatever reason. The mixture is at its weakest and that needs the best spark. Check the usual things - especially plug leads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right, thanks. Tonight I had a quick look and have more or less discounted a vacuum leak (spraying carb cleaner around didn't have any affect and all the hoses look good) so I think it's definitely ignition. I have also noticed another symptom which I'm hoping will be part of the same problem: with the engine at idle (hot or cold), if I blip the throttle on and off quickly (most noticeable if done by hand under the bonnet) there's a definite hestitation/flatspot before the engine revs freely. In fact if you watch the needle the revs seem to even drop a fraction before it picks up. To eliminate the plugs themselves I replaced them with a newer set from my 320 and this made no difference so I'm thinking about swapping the distributor cap, rotor and ht leads next. Does that sound sensible for the symptoms? Thanks again

Reply to
MarkS

Rev it to 3000 rpm and then light your foot off totally. If it dips below idle and almost stalls that's a sign of a vacuum leak.

Reply to
John Burns

Never, never discount a vacuum leak. Go ahead and check the ignition but realize that there are many subtle ways for vacuum leaks to occur that are pretty damn hard to detect. Not as bad as with a carb, though, thankfully.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to