E34 circuit sensor shows brake and fog light out...

My 1995 e34 just passed the 120,000 mile mark and a curious thing has occurred. I'm getting a message that a fog lamp is out, but it's not. Same thing on a brake light, even though it still works. Do the sockets where these lamps mount ever need cleaning? Thanks.

Reply to
major_A

It would do no harm to 'scrape' the contact points with a screwdriver and also tweak the contacts for a tighter fit. Also check the operation of the third brake light.

Reply to
Ali

Reply to
Choam Nomsky

The sockets go bad, the connectors go bad. The lamp bases need cleaning. The reed relays in the sensor box fail. The solder joints in the sensor box fail. All of these are sadly very common and it takes a very small current imbalance to set the alarm off.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I knew there would be some good advice here, I've had this car for 9 years and I'd like to drive it for awhile longer without these niggling annoyances.

Reply to
major_A

If it were my car, I'd pull every connector and pack them all with dielectric grease, and that goes for all the bulb sockets as well. Your goal is to prevent future corrosion, years down the road. In the process you're apt to find some corroded stuff too; use Cramolin or DeOxit (Electrolube if you are in the UK) and clean anything that looks like it's on the way out before you repack with dielectric grease.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I get my DeoxIT in England also. Much better than anything I have used. Great selection of applicators also. I use the individual wipes, pen and sprays. Their website has a list of distributors worldwide.

Mike

Reply to
shaqtopz