Working XJ side markers....

...or corner lights, or bumper lights, or whatever other names these things go by!

Hello there.

I own a 93 UK-spec XJ. In the UK the side markers are not wired up, so Cherokee owners who want to do this have to do it themselves. Can anyone please tell me how the side markers are wired up in the US, and what wattage bulb they take? Also, does the entire marker become illuminated, or just the top?

Many thanks,

Martin

Reply to
MLS

Over here they are wired into the turn signals and the park light position, I'll double check to see how much of the light "lights" up. Im sure Bill or someone has a link to a wiring schematic for these lights. You might find one yourself by "googlin" . I'll try and scan a copy if I can get the scanner working and remember to grab the manual before the XJ goes out on its weekend kid delivery and pickup runs at the various activities.

Snow

Reply to
Snow

Hi. Thanks for that; don't put yourself to too much trouble, though. I have searched on Google, and found an article on rewiring side markers into the turn signals, which is apparently the case on later XJs. In that article, the markers appeared to be illuminated only at the top; however, I saw a Cherokee in that film with Tom Hanks I can't remember the name of...what was it...Castaway, that's it! In that film the side markers seemed to be illuminated throughout and looked very cool, although I think it was a facelift model so maybe that's different.

Martin

Reply to
MLS

I'll look at my 93 XJ and see if I can find anything to help you out in the next day or so. Can you answer me a question though about UK Jeep vehicles? Do you have yellow rear-facing lenses that are meant to be severe weather lights or simply rear fog lights? I saw a YJ or TJ in the first Jurassic Park movie that had yellows on full time facing the rear and wondered what for. Then I owned a Ford (Mercury) Cougar and saw people selling the UK rear lenses for them that included the yellow portion. They wired them as turn signals but after fooling with the headlamp wiring I managed to illuminate the rear fog lamp indicator on the dash.

If I can get new lenses for my TJ with yellow in them that would be pretty neat.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

The only rear-facing amber lenses on the Jeeps I've seen over here are the indicators (turn signals). I'll post your question to the JeepClub.co.uk forum tomorrow and see if anyone has any answers: some members drive Jeeps that they've imported from the US themselves.

Martin

Reply to
MLS

Endo --

This was the answer I got:

"I assume this is someone in the US, but what he needs is a pair of European spec tail lamp clusters for a TJ. The European lenses might fit the US lamps, but would still need an extra bulbholder anyway. It might be simpler to get the whole thing and make up a hybrid lamp assembly out of the two types. Euro lamps do not include a license plate lamp, and they also do not have a red side marker, and I would guess that both these are required by law in the US. As European spec TJs are built in the US, there should be no problem walking into a US Jeep dealer and ordering the European lamps, I have no problem getting US spec lamps in the UK. "

Hope this helps.

Reply to
MLS

XJ side markers take a #194 lamp, which is 3.8 watts. On the newer ones it is wired to flash as an additional turn signal. Only the top lights up; the bottom of the lens is the reflector that the U.S. requires. If you saw the entire thing lit up, maybe it was either the movie lights reflecting or it was moddified because they thought it looked better.

As for wiring, either end of the parking light goes to one of the non-shell contacts of the front park/turn signal lamp, one contact which goes to the light switch and the other contact which goes to the turn/hazard assembly. When the bright filament is not energized by the turn/hazard assembly, it provides a path to ground for the marker light. Thus the side marker and the park/turn light alternate being on. If you want the marker light not to flash, then wire one end to the low park/turn filament and one to a ground, possibly the park/turn lamp shell.

Another curious thing is the rear lighting- my manual makes no mention of dedicated rear marker lights, but shows an empty space where the bulb would go. Curious, I removed the tailight and found there actually were sockets there, with long burnt-out #194 lamps. These are wired with the low filament in the tail/brake lamp and do not flash.

Reply to
Monte Castleman

Thanks for that, Monte; most helpful.

Martin

Reply to
MLS

I did check and confirm that the upper part of the light is all that lights up. It has a 194 bulb in it and it also flashes on and off opposite the front turn signal. It is designed in such a way that it doesn't seem easy to mod it for full illumination. The bottom is mostly flat while the top has extra room to mount the lamp.

I found some pictures of what I was looking for with the tail lights. From the looks of it, the yellow is for turn signals and then for rear fog lights, there is a single auxillary red light mounted to the top of the bumper under the right side tail light. Maybe it's just a UK thing, but I swear I saw the yellows both lit steady on the Jurassic Park Jeep. Maybe what I saw was a New Zealand or Australia thing since I belive the movie was filmed there.

Some pics here:

Shawn

Reply to
Endo