E34 headlamp - bulbs keep blowing up !!

Hi all,

need help, my E34 headlamp bulbs have been so often now been burning off.I've upgraded from 55W to 100W, I've been told it's either an overcharging alternator or Insufficient earthing.

Could it it be ? or is there a problem with the fusible links ?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers Dom

Reply to
DOM

You are not touching the glass on the bulb during assembly, are you?

And, the conversion from 55w to 100w is probably problematic.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"DOM" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

Dom,

In my opinion they dont blow but burn... The problem is insificient cooling. the bulb get to warm in the housing and burn.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Correct. I'll bet the failed ones were milky or discoloured internally too. The lamps themselves have a maximum pinch seal temperature of 350°C which will be well exceeded in the E34 optics causing air leaks into the lamp envelope. The E34 optics are marginal even at 55W. I thermal tested both as part of my job as a lamp engineer back in the '80s. You want more light, use Osram Nightbreakers or Silverstars. Same wattage, much higher lumens and no drama with overheating.

JB.

Reply to
JB

You may also want to check out the Toshiba HIR bulbs too:

bfd

I don't think that is the problem. My '94 525i still has the 100w h/l bulbs that were fitted nearly 3 years ago. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

HI jeff,

NO did not touch the bulbs.used gloves or a cotton cloth to hold it.

cheers Dom

Reply to
DOM

- snipped-for-privacy@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

HI Erik,

Yes I mean burn :) ..to many burning in a matter of few months.Mind you the HI Beams..work great.

cheers Dom

Reply to
DOM

Will check out the OSRAM's & TOSHIBA.

Cheers Dom

Reply to
DOM

You may want to read the BMWCCA article on light bulbs:

bfd

Thanks all..

Cheers Dom

Reply to
DOM

HI jeff,

NO did not touch the bulbs.used gloves or a cotton cloth to hold it.

cheers Dom

Do not touch the glass at all. Ever.

Handle new lamps by the base, and avoid touching the glass at all.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

But if like most 100W bulbs they were bought from a well known internet auction site they'll have been mauled by numerous sets of hands on their way from Asia.

Everyone I know (total count - Several) that have bought bulbs from a well known internet auction site have found that they blow within a week. It become a joke now.

Al.

Reply to
Al

The other thing to consider is that these bulbs give off a considerable amount of UV radiation and this will make any acrylic (Plexiglas) go yellow. Now my old E38 has glass on the front but the lenses were plastic and I have seen a few that have gone yellow and cracked on cars that have had 100W and even 80W bulbs fitted for any length of time.

Just a thought if you're going to be stupid!

Reply to
hsg

Clean them with IPA or industrial alcohol before fitting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

thanks all for the feedbacks and advice

Cheers Dom

Reply to
DOM

No fuses on your car, Hugh? ;-) However, car wiring won't burn out with a

40% overload.

They're 35 watts.

My E34 had glass lenses. But have you got to keep plastic ones out of the sun?

Think you have. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I have Dave I have no idea where they are yet. The old E38 yes my new E65 No!

The sun can burn but then its about 8 light minutes away whereas the bulb is about 2" and the same amount of atmosphere filtering

Reply to
hsg