BMW 330Xi Snow Performance

I am looking for an E46 330Xi or E90 325Xi to handle snow conditions at the local mountains in British Columbia. Any experience from snowboarders heading up to Whistler? What tire and wheel package are recommended for a winter BMW?

Thanks

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote

The drive to Whistler is not very severe, as far as winter conditions are concerned, as it's not steep. OEM all season tires are sufficient for that. If you do need snows, Blizzaks, Pilot Alpine, Conti Contact and Dunlop. The E46 has regular tires; except for a few exceptions you're limited to

17" tires in either 205/50R17 or 225/45R17. The E90 comes only with run-flats, and you're limited to the 225/45R17 size IIRC.

FloydR '01 330xi with Michelin Pilot Alpine. Overkill for most conditions.

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

You won't get stuck, drives in snow like a champ, the only thing is the braking... so be prepared with great winter tires and OEM or better brake pads (if used). The weight of the car + the added Xi keeps it stable, a little boring even ;) Do NOT use the shitty tires that come with it in real snow.

The highest rated snow tire for this type of car is the Goodyear eagle Ultra Grip or Michelin Pilot Alpin.

'03 330xi with Pirelli Winter 210 (Great on takeoff, good luck stopping!)

Reply to
Choam Nomsky

"Choam Nomsky" wrote

This is simply not true. The OEM all-season tires are *adequate* in the snow. My xi went the first two years with them with nary a problem, in some pretty severe winter conditions. (I started using snow tires only when I got some good summer rubber and needed something else for winter.)

And I have no idea why you need better brake pads for snow driving, even a completely worn-to-the-metal pad is capable of stopping a wheel on snow.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

One word: Hakkapellita. I don't normally drive in snow... I don't think humans should live more than 15 degrees from the equator. But I had the Hakkapellita experience driving in Gander, Newfoundland, while stuck there for a week or so, and it was so well-controlled it was amazing.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That doesn't even include all the tropics (that part of the globe where the sun will be directly overhead at some time).

If you live outside the tropics on the side of a continent opposite the way the world goes round or in the middle of a large one then it gets very cold in the winter.

OTOH if you live inside the tropics or on the side of contitnent the same way as the world goes round winters are pretty mild affairs.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Thanks for the input.

Any improvements with the new X-Drive system with the E90 models? From the experiences listed above, I believe a 300Xi with good snow tires can handle the winter conditions. I have heard the X5 has reliability issues with costly repair and maintenance.

Reply to
Rob

An old 1600 or a Bavaria with good snow tires can handle the winter conditions. All the fancy modern stuff like the traction control and the anti lock system are nice enough, but at the end it comes down to having good tires and knowing how to drive in snow. It has a lot more to do with the driver than the vehicle.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I said OEM or better... as in, not the aftermarket crap they try to sell everywhere. Assuming the car is not brand new - and as far as "all season" tires, they just plain suck.

Quebec had just changed the law so that EVERYONE is obligated to use them, they know the need and that there is NO substitute. You can do what you want.

Reply to
Choam Nomsky

Is the reliability of the 3-series better than the X5? Also, any improvements with the new X-drive system?

Thanks

Reply to
Rob