e36 Rear view fell off.

Wife advised her rear view mirror had fallen off over night. On checking, there was a hunk of glass broken off the windscreen and still attached to the mirrow stalk. I'm hoping to super glue it back on. Any other suggestions, and is this very common? I had parked the car that night and don't recall being rough with the mirror.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

The mirror mounts on a small metal tab and is usually held to the tab by a small setscrew. The tab is the part that is glued to the windshield. I've heard of the bond of the mirror tab breaking off the glass, but it's the first I've ever heard of the glass actually breaking. Are you sure it's tyhe glass and not the glue that was previously used to hold it? Look to see if the windshield has a pit or hole left behind.

Superglue will not hold it. You'll have to a get a new mirror "tab" kit, which comes with the appropriate glue and then, if the glass actually did chip glue the new tab in a slightly different location so the chip is not under it.

GL,

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

They make a special glue that is similar to super glue, but stronger, that holds the rear view mirror to the inside of the windshield.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Defective windshield.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Does she have a temper? ;-)

If it really did fall off by itself and the glass did come off with it I would seriously look at replacing the windshield since it could be a hazard. Check with your insurance company, it may be covered.

Reply to
John L Rice