E46 AC always runs in recirc mode?

Does anyone know if the E46 Car/Key memory setting called "Cooling output", which is set by default to "hot country" on cars for North America, controls the recirc damper setting as well as other flaps? As soon as the AC button is pressed, the intake switches to recirc, which decreases the airflow to the rear seat area and also makes the air noise markedly louder.

If the car/key memory is changed to "normal" and this allowed fresh air to be cooled, these problems would be eliminated. When getting into a parked hot car, the recirc button could still be used for rapid initial cooling.

Before I pay the dealer to make the change, I am trying to get a better idea of what this setting does, besides closing the footwell and defrost vents.

removing the cabin air filter, I can see the recirc dampers closing off the fresh air inlet when the AC button is pressed, just as they do when recirc is pressed.

Reply to
Wm. B.