E46 Warning Light for Bulbs

Hi all,

I think there was a similar post a week or 2. Every now and again I am getting a bulb gone warning at the back. There seems to be no problems

- would some WD40 on the bulb end and contacts be a good idea?

Thanks, Keith.

Reply to
keithd

No - it leaves an insulating residue. Proper contact cleaner/lubricator is a better bet. Or simply use a pencil eraser on them. We call it a rubber in the UK but I hope you know what I mean. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is probably the CRAP zinc coated sheet steel contacts BMW or rather Valeo? use for cheapness.

The bulb holder actually sparks and burns a hole right through these crap steel strips. I have done this on several rear lamp units.

Remove lamp Remove bulbs Clean the damaged area with a dremmel type drill or a small file or anything that will do the job get a heavy duty soldering oron - I use a Weller 200watt gun type but anything that will sustain a decent heat of 300+C Solder the hole up and make good by flatting the contact area so the bulb holder will still clip into place.

Boom Boom - one effective repair.

Note sometimes I had to us a thin strip of thin brass to repair the hole and another time I used a thin pirse of steel cut from a computer back panel blanking strip.

Reply to
steve-caner