En gine size

Folks, would anyone have an opinion as to whether buying a 3 series car with 30,000 miles on the clock,would be a worse deal than buying a 5 series with the same mileage?Both being otherwise equal..I'm speaking of engine longevity.ie;are the engines of these models the same and only differ in cubic capacity?

Regards

Reply to
G.Gordon

EH ? What on earth are you gabbling on about ? ?

Reply to
Nick

"G.Gordon" wrote

The engines in them are the same, period.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Reply to
G.Gordon

Reply to
G.Gordon

Floyd is mostly correct. (In the U.S.), the 3 and 5 series share the same

3.0 liter 6 cylinder engine in both 215 and 255 hp versions. The 5 series is also available with a 5 liter V8. So if you are comparing a 325i with a 525i, the 5 is larger ( a little over a foot longer) and weighs about 75 pounds more - but the engine and drivetrain are exactly the same.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

A bit vague, but here goes. Assuming an E46 vs E39 or early E60, the six cylinder engines (M54) are identical. You can expect similar reliability in both 2.5 and 3.0 liter models. The newer E90 and 2006 E60 has a new engine with a magnesium block (its encapsulated in aluminum). Very high tech, very powerful for 3 liters (the 325 and 525 are now a somewhat simplified variation of the same engine, now 3 liters), too new to say much about long-term reliability.

The E39s and E60s also have a V-8 available. Different animal. A lot more grunt and somewhat less refined in the handling department. The earlier E39 V-8 tended to overstress the cooling system (radiator failures in the

60-75000 mile range not uncommon) and had an oil pump bolt issue (now resolved). The new V-8 in the E60 is a technical marvel, probably too early to comment on reliability. Generally, BMW I-6's are more reliable and more maintainable than the V-8's.

I think its more critical to address what you want in a car. The 3's are more sporting, the 5's more luxurious. But a 5 with sport package is more sporting than a 3 without. And a 3 with performance package .... Well you get the drift. Drive both cars and decide which one better meets your needs and desires. The powerplant shouldn't be your primary concern.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

"G.Gordon" wrote

Would you like to provide the source of your (mis)information?

Which 3 series?

Which 5 series?

If we're talking about same model year, then a 325i and a 525i share the same engine; same thing with 330i and 530i.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Generally speaking the smaller the body and larger the engine the less stressed it will be in operation. In particular the final drive ratio is higher with larger engined models so: -

lighter body - less effort to achieve same acceleration / speed larger engine - less rev's to achieve same power / torque higher gearing / final drive - less rev's to cruise at same speed (look for mph / 1,000rpm)

obviously an engine that spends most of its time doing lower rev's will last longer than one that is constantly thrashed near to its maximum rev's / performance.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Your question was flawed. The two cars (3 series and 5 series) are available with the exact same engines. You did not specify which engines you were talking about.

Don't be such a putz. You can go back to wherever you came from now.

Reply to
Fred W

I have a 520 which I bought because I could not find a 3 series I liked in the time frame allowed.

Now when I sit in a friends 325, I am annoyed by how small it is. I have grown to love the extra room in the 5.

Reply to
jom

What do you do with all that extra room?

Reply to
joe_tide

Try sitting in a z3!

Reply to
adder1969

You need to be more specific. Some engines are shared between models - but there are frequent engine updates so even if both cars are approx the same age and nominally the same capacity, it doesn't mean they have identical engines.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, a 525 and a 325 are the same engine. The 4 series does have a wider range of engine choices, and offers engines that are not found on the 3 Series. But, if the las two digits are the same, odds are very good that the engines are the same.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You need to learn how to post.

I am a flagrant top poster, but when I follow another person in a discussion, I always observe the way they posted.

I've seen three of your posts, and one was the original that started this thread. In the other two, the reply was posted below your questioin, and YOU posted a follow-on at the top.

Now, you are arguing the answer to a question you asked. If you are going to argue the answer, do not ask the question. Given the way BMW names their cars, a 325 and a 525 have the same motor. The 5 only has a bigger motor if the last two digits are higher than 25. For example, the 535 is larger than the 325 of the same vintage because the last two digits are higher. The 530 has the same motor as the 330.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There's a 4 series? Or are you referring to the Z4?

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

He meant 5 series - it was a typo. epbrown

--

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to

"Pete" wrote

Perhaps if G.Gordon would look at

it might make moresense to him.