Engine Replacement

I have a 99' 528i. That recently the engine died on. All 4 cylinders are filled with Oil. The Shop indicates that I need a new motor in it, I was wondering if these are good quotes for a normal replacement:

Engine 1

53,000 Mi $6000 - Motor $2000 - Labor Total Est: $8000

Engine 2

120,000 Mi $4500 - Motor $2000 - Labor Total Est: $6500

Now these are rough est. and it could be more or less depending on what needs replaced in the end (Hoses, Water pump etc...) Are those ok prices on a used engine installed?

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

I'd find a new 'shop' if they told you that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't possibly see doing this. For not much more you can just buy another

528i. Just a little more than that and you can get an '00 or '01.

Part it out and invest in another car.

I'd also get a second opinion before I did anything.

Reply to
Tom Scales

What "shop"??

Was that a Dealer???!!!

You can buy a flawless, beautiful e34 or e39 for less.

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

It was a local shop that ived had do work before. They do Dealer level work for less the the dealership would. Ive compared alot of items in the past and they have always been alot cheaper.

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

That's what I was afraid of. Which really sucks as the car is extremely Immaculate inside and out. The only problem is the Engine.

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

"Branden Nelsen" wrote in news:erd5vb$780$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net:

I'm with those guys.. that seems crazy high. I guess the labor is in the ball park but I'm amazed you can't find a good used engine for less than $4500

Like you can buy a completely reconditioned/rebuilt engine w/5 year warranty from

with clutch kit for under 6k

Not that I've used them but just as an example.

Have you hit your local junk yards?

I guess if you really love the car its worth it .. I"m always willing to spend money on something I want to keep for a long time.

What's in the other 2 cylinders?

Reply to
stuart

I wondered when someone was going to ask :) It was so hard no to.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Can you be a bit more specific about the engine - like what happened, and what were the symptoms.

Replacing the car and selling the old one for breaking sounds a better deal, but only if the engine is a write off and you can't get a replacement at a sensible price (somewhat less than half the value of the car).

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Unfortunately I haven't looked at Junk yards. Ive just scouted eBay. Ill check out that link thanks!

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen
*sigh

Sorry ment all 6! Apparently ive failed at math lol.

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

I was driving to work like normal, Everything was going great then all of the sudden I lost all power to the engine. The Car still had Electric power, just nothing from the engine. I pulled over and there was ALOT of smoke rolling from the Exhaust in the rear. I also noticed that Oil (or what looked ALOT like it) was dripping slowly from the exhaust also. I tried to crank it over after abit and nothing happened at all. When it did happen the Emissions, Oil and one other light I cant think of came on, on the dash.

I love the car, its the best ive driven and owned. The unfortunate part is I still owe $7000 on it, so if I cant get it fixed ill be paying for a very expensive lawn ornament :)

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

JoshIII remembers: Does your 528 use hydraulic fluid pump to assist with power steering *and* power brakes?

My old 1980's vintage 320i uses pneumatic power brake assist taken from the intake manifold.

I am familiar with a case involving my cousin's 1990's vintage Bronco II of a defective pollution control valve (PCV) or other check valve that somehow allowed oil or power steering fluid to get injected into the intake manifold...

I'm doing this from memory, but it seems like I remember the fluid involved was from the power steering/braking system?

Apparently the braking system on that vehicle relied on some combination of manifold pressure (vacuum) and pressurized fluid to actuate the brakes. Failure of some valve allowed fluid to get mixed with intake air in his engine.

The Bronco II had German made fuel injected Ford engines in them.

I remember when it happened, but I don't remember all the the details. I just remember he said plumes of white smoke started billowing out his exhaust. When it happened, he thought he had a blown an engine.

My cousin is a Ford mechanic. I should ask him about the experience again. He made the simple repair of the valve himself.

JoshIII upstate south carolina

Reply to
JoshIII

You said "al 4 cylinders"? There are 6 cylinders in a 528. I must wonder about these shops. Jim

Reply to
Jim

That does sound unpleasant..

Besides the engine, you're likely to need all the O2 sensors and the catalytic converters if the oil actually was running from the exhaust.

It sounds as if you have a cracked head..

Not a good thing.

If it was me - I'd consider doing one of two things:

  1. Find my own junkyard engine. The engines on these cars aren't terribly troublesome so there should be some fine examples kicking around in various junkyards. This is where Google, or membership in the BMW-CCA would be useful. You want BMW specific junkyards like Vines Automotive.. Get the same engine you have if you want the simplest swap out..

  1. Find an E36/M3 S52 engine. Direct drop-in, and MUCH more powerful than the engine you have (240HP vs around 190HP) - it's plug and play compatible.. but you might (not even sure if this is necessary) have to get your engine ECU "flashed" to a ROM version for this engine. There are various performance upgrade places that have software updates to do this sort of thing.

#2 is gonna cost more - the S52 engines do go for some $$$ - but not any more than either of the options you've listed. #1 should be considerably less expensive than the quotes you got.

You might also check around (Yellow Pages) to see if there are shops in your area that specialize in doing engine swaps... there are shops like this and they are usually less expensive and faster than using your friendly local independent mechanic.

FWIW - a BMW rebuilt S54 engine (344HP) as used in the E46/M3 and the Z4/M-Coupe is only about $6,500 with a good "core".. the prices your friendly mechanic is giving you seem awfully high.

Reply to
admin

Colour of smoke

White - water - wet fuel of water in head (gaskets or cracks) Blue - oil - oil leak in head - gasket, crasks or worn / broken rings Black - fuel - far too rich

How long have you had the car? What sort of servicing?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

It was White/Grey smoke.

**Replaced within the last year** Front Struts Front Control arms and bushings Rear Control arms and bushings Front Rotors Spark Plugs (Bosch Platinum 4+) Airfilter with K&N Airfilter VANOS Timing system All filters in the car

Oil has been changed every 3-4000mi and Inspection 2 done within last

7500~miles

Ive owned the car for only about 1.5years.

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

It sounds to me like this shop is not really interested in doing this job judging from the prices quoted. I see used M52 engines on Ebay for $2000 to $3000 so these guys are apparently marking up the engine cost by about 100%. The swap job should only take an experienced mechanic 8 hours to perform so they seem to be marking up the labor by 100% also. If you have any other options I would seek another quote or if they are your only choice you could buy the engine yourself and have them install it.

Reply to
Jack

Could be blown head gasket (cheap, but there is usually an expensive underlying cause), warped head or a crack.

Were there any chuffing noises before it stopped?

Did the engine still turn on the starter?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton