Freezing Temps (92 E32 OBC question)

When I was driving over the pass a months back, the obc pinged when it sensed the temp was freezing outside (or so I remember it).

Today it pinged at 38 degrees F.

Do I remember wrong from a few months back, or does it somehow pick a random temp to ping you at?

Thanks

-j

Josh Assing

You remember wrong. Jim

Reply to
Jim
38 and below the bimmer considers the possibility for black ice, thats the ding, and its consistant.
Reply to
Corey Shuman

Whew. Thanks jim. do you know why they picked 38 for the warning?

Josh Assing

Thanks corey. Maybe it was just "at freezing" the last time, and that's why I remember it.

Cheers

-j

Josh Assing

"Josh Assing" wrote

It's actually 3 degrees Celsius. There's a slight conversion bug in early models (before '95 or so IIRC) that displays it as 38 rather than 37 F. That's about the point where ice/frost can begin forming. There's a little valley near me that the temp is often 5 degrees colder than my house.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

well; no you had to go put in terms of celsius... 3 I can understand.

I have a 92 -- so; there it is....

thanks

-j

Josh Assing

It pings and lights the display at 38, then goes out. At 32, it pings again and lights the display but stays on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jim is full oif shit. Sorry Jim.

The car will tell you that it's cold when the temp is 38, this temp can result in black ice in shady places or on a bridge. The display will come on for a few seconds then go out. If the temp continues to drop to 32, the display will come on again (with the attendant ping), but will remain on to remind you that there is ice outside.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

OK!!! So I wasn't imagining it & I did remember correctly! it was just that I started out below 38..

Thanks Jeff!

-j

Josh Assing