Getting codes from 87 325is

I'm trying to read the codes from an 87 325is but the trick of depressing the throttle to the floor five times doesn't work. Is there a different trick for this year vs my 89 325i? What switches should I check as I'm thinking one or more isn't working. The TPS sensor has been tested and works...

Reply to
Psycho

depressing the throttle to the floor five times doesn't work.

try ten times and tell me did you get ti...

Reply to
SkF

You need to be sure you go all the way down to the floor and then all the way back to the top each time you press the pedal. Since you need to do this relatively fast, it's easy to not go all the way on one or more presses and thus not enter the read mode. My old 89 325i was like this.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Reply to
Psycho

Nedavno Psycho pise:

| I'm trying to read the codes from an 87 325is but the trick of | depressing the throttle to the floor five times doesn't work.

What trick? How does it work? Please explain, or post a link to the explanation (hope I spelled this right :-)

Reply to
Yvan

Reply to
Psycho

Nedavno Psycho pise:

| This has been posted numerous times but in the interest of good will, | turn the key to the ON position but do not start the motor. You then | fully depress and release the gas pedal 5 time (must be done within 5 | seconds or so) and the CEL will flash out the code for you. I'm sure | someone can provide you a better link but

does a fair | job of covering it...

Thanks.

Reply to
Yvan

Your 87 has Motronic 1.0. Your 89 is Motronic 1.1 or 1.3

1.0 does not have on board diagnostics. There are no codes available to you.

Brett Anderson KMS _ Koala Motorsport

Reply to
KMS-Brett Anderson

I had already determined that it wasn't going to fess up any information without a code reader. It is nice to know why though. I thank you very much for that answer as I no longer have to wonder why...

The issue has been resolved and since the problem was the crankshaft position sensor I doubt it would have helped to have the codes...

Reply to
Psycho

A code reader would not have helped. There are no codes to be read.

Brett Anderson KMS

Reply to
KMS-Brett Anderson