High milage on a 1996 bwm 328is

This car has extremely high milage ( 280,000 ) and is priced as so, but looks like it only has 70,000. The car is mecanicly sound as is the manual tranny.

Seems to be all highway buisness milage and well taken care of. How good are these 328is motors ?

Reply to
jermann

The '96 has the single vanos M52 engine. This block can have the dreaded "sulphur problem", but if it's gotten this far I'm sure it'll be OK. Especially as the UK has had low sulphur fuel for years now.

I recently bought a '95 328i touring and it's MUCH better put together than the E36 318iS '93 I owned for 9 years.

At that mileage a lot of the wear parts such as bushings, shocks, tie rods, etc. are likely to have been changed. I'd buy it with the idea that if anything major fails just part the car out on ebay, and let that be reflected in the purchase price. Expect to pay a bit now and then to replace worn components and I'd change ALL the fluids when you buy it.

I'm guessing it's a manual car. If it's an automatic it's a miracle if it's got the original gearbox!

I ran my last E30 318iS 1990 to 200k and it was fine. Only sold it as too many Scottish winters had started to make it rusty around the edges.

Reply to
John Burns

"John Burns" wrote

The OP is using a US-English version of Firefox, so it's likely a US motor with sleeves.

As for the rest; as John says.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers