Ignition advance map help needed

I am in a process of fitting distributerless ignition in my '87 BMW 316 (1.6 M10 engine). I finished assembling MegaJolt ignition control unit:

Now, when it gets warmer I have to fit it to the car. I now need ignition map for my engine. I have default one that I can use, but since I converted to LPG only fuel I have to make my own map.

I wanted to use original ignition curve (initial + mechanical), so I checked my Bentley BMW E30 manual, and there is a table with total advance (but I think that this is just initial + mechanical advance) at different rpm. So I draw a diagram with the data from the table:

(ignore the orange and violet curves, gray is the one I am talking about).

It is interesting to see that ignition advance retards after 3500 rpm. I wonder why (and how) do BMW make their distributors to do that.

My question is is this correct ignition curve? Should I use it as a basis for further modification by adding advance based on a load (vacuum)? Any idea how much (~8 deg)? And do I add the same value at idle, mid-range and at max rev?

Reply to
Yvan

Did the car run properly on the original distributor or is the LPG conversion going on at the same time as the Megajolt conversion? If it ran properly before, use a similar advance curve. You be better served looking for a resource that is more in line with LPG conversions...

Reply to
Michael Yeager

Nedavno Michael Yeager napisa:

It is running now on LPG and the original ignition system. MegaJolt conversion will (hopefully) allow me to tune the ignition for better performance and economy with LPG.

I am asking here how does original ignition work, so I can tune MegaJolt as best as I can. It looked strange that mechanical advance will retard few degrees past 3500 rpm. I thought that it is not the case, that it will advance up to a point and keep there up to the rev limit.

Reply to
Yvan

In this case, I say start with the original curve and work from there. My suggestion is to look to an LPG group to find out how much tweaking you can do. I have no experience with LPG and my guess is not too many other people here do either. The retarding of the advance doesn't seem right to me either but....

I am interested and wish I could offer advice other than this.

Reply to
Michael Yeager