New M3 or 530i.

Hello, I'm in the market for a new car and am considering either an M3 or 530i (both would be new, 2005). It's been a hard choice between the two as I like the muscle/sportiness of the M3 while the 530i would probably be more reasonable (with the 4 doors, etc). I live in NJ and work in NYC, so it's a 55 mile commute each way, though most is on the turnpike (where the avg crusing speed is 85/90mph), I do also drive around in the city (bumps/potholes) as well, also take in consideration that being in the "northeast" we also deal w/ rain/snow/etc. Any suggestions out there? Anyone with similar commutes?

Also, not that important, but is there a difference in insurance between the two?

Thanks all.

Reply to
S.A.

Well, I don't think you'd enjoy the M3 in traffic or on the city streets. And while I find it hard to believe you can commute on the NJT at 85 to 90 any time there's traffic or any time John Law is present, I'd pick the 5er for the daily grind. You might try to find a low mileage E39.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

There is no comparison. You should buy the 530i for your intended use. You will be very unhappy in an M3, driving on New York streets and traffic. Have you actually driven these cars yet? They are not even close in their intended purposes, and you proposed use describes the

530i to a tee.

The 530 with a good set of winter tires will be perfect for the 3-4 months that you might expect real snow (Dec - Mar), and will soak up those nasty potholes very comfortably while still giving you plenty to grin about when you do get a chance to drive it quickly.

...and yes, you will pay higher premiums for the M3 because they are bigger targets for thieves.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

530, no doubt. I wouldn't even consider an M3 for what you describe unless you were going to use it for weekend or evening fun as well to make up for its shortfalls the rest of the time you'd be using it. Its not a very relaxing drive compared to the 530 and does not like pot holes or a lot of stop start driving.
Reply to
TonyK

any one have driving experiences with either? i didnt think i'd have such a hard time picking between the two. i was originally set on the m3, but thinking about the daily commute the 530i seems more reasonable. i plan on taking some test drives this week, anyone know how it performs from standstill and the performance/feel when passing? thanks.

plus, is getting the 530i w/ smg worth it?

Reply to
S.A.

Have you gone for a test drive of these two cars yet? Practical side screams 5 series, and perhaps the 'x' version, but wild teenage side screams M3. I'd probably go for the 5.

Reply to
Charles C. Shyu

I've got an E39 530i, love it to bits.

Comfort and power (I've got the manual version, too young to go auto), plus plenty of buttins to fiddle with.

The ride is very different to a an M3 (or any 3 series), chasis isn't as stiff and feels heavier (cause it is).

As you live in the USA with cheap petrol (sorry gas) prices (trust me they're much cheaper than the UK), get a 540i!!! My boss has one and doesn't shut up about it.

Servicing costs for 5x series are much cheaper than the M3.

HTH

Matt

Reply to
mp