Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2 possibilities and want to make a move tonight.

I can buy a 1998 BMW 328is with 80,000 miles for $15,000.

Or I can buy a 2005 Chevy Impala with 18,000 miles for $15,000.

I've driven both vehicles and like them both.

The BMW has a more expensive, smooth feel to it. I know that BMW is well manufactured and will probably last at least until 300,000 miles. The car is in immaculate condition, the owner was the original and only brought it in to trade it for a new BMW.

The Impala is almost brand new and low on miles. It has more interior room, room to stretch out. I've done some research on the Impala and they all say this is a car that is well manufactured, but I don't have any real experience to know if the '05 will stand the test of time.

Which would you buy in this situation? My biggest concern on the BMW are repairs. If this 328is breaks down I would most likely have to pay more to get it fixed than I would the Impala. How much more to fix a BMW than an American car, on average? I also need to know if the 328is is one of the BMWs that have mechanical defects or will not last, I've read of a few older BMW models not being very strong on reliability over 100,000 miles.

Respond to group, thanks.

Reply to
andremorris

Check out the attached link to AllData.Com and make sure that the BMW has been in for all callback issues:

Cool Jet

You're trying to start WW III, aren't you?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Why not buy a new car rather than depending on a car somebody else no longer wanted, to get you to your place of employment?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

According to a Canadiandriver.ca (if memory is faithfull), you should avoid Impalas that come with the 3.4L engine. Apparently, they have problems with the head gasket leaking on higher mileage vehicule.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

I'm not willing to endure the $5,000 dollars that goes up in smoke (depreciation) the moment you drive a new car off of the lot. I like being able to buy a car and if I need to, turn around and sell it at roughly the same price.

Reply to
andremorris

Well, I have a 97 328 with 125,000 miles that I will never sell or trade - I think it's that good. My biggest problem is after driving 600 miles in one day, I still don't want to get out and stop for the night. 98 should be at least as good. HOWEVER,

  1. At 80,000 on the BMW, you should probably follow Roundel tech advisor Mike Miller's advice to replace thermostat, water pump and radiator on it. I've done that on mine.
  2. It likely needs some brake work, unless the mileage is mainly highway.
  3. Is it an automatic trans - seem to be lots of problems with these. I have a manual.

Your call. A 60 mile commute is long enough to thoroughly enjoy a BMW, if you're "into it", and if you know a good independent mechanic, repairs should not be too bad, provided you keep up with the maintenance. The impala is a good deal, though, if you like the car - I have no idea as to reliability, and no opinion on the car itself. At 18,000 miles the Impala shouldn't need anything for quite some time, so, obviously the best financial deal.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Why would you or anybody want to sell a new car they just bought?? It is not like one can find many used cars that do not have any mileage on the clock, it is the mileage and wear and tear that causes the deprecation. Buy a new car and let it sit in a garage for ten years and see what it is worth compared to one 150,000 miles on the clock ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I honestly would try to come up with about $2,000 more and get a new Civic or the like with a warranty.

SO

Reply to
SO

Perhaps because the buyer has decided he/she does not like the car they bought?

What's your point? A 10 year old car with low mileage is obviously going to be worth more than one with 150k miles on it by a good margin. But by no means will it be worth anything close to new. As the OP said, there's a huge depreciation hit the first instant you take delivery of any new car.

Reply to
Fred W

Unless of course you value your life. Driving a 60 mile commute each day in a civic? Not me...

Reply to
Fred W

Your likely safer in the Civic than either of those other choices. Size is not the end-all in safety.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Nonsense. I would take my chances in either the BMW or Chevy over a Civic. You are correct; size is not the only safety factor, but it does figure into the equation as does (even more importantly) weight and how solidly built the car is. There is a reason Civics can reach 40mpg. They are light. If you are a big fan of Hondas, an Accord would be an entirely different story.

Reply to
Fred W

Even if the other cars would provide somewhat more protection than the Civic that does not equate to someone "not valuing their life" because they drive a Civic. A new Civic has a five star rating on front impacts (same as the Impala) and both of those are going to have multiple air bags compared to the beemer which would likely have none being that old.

A BIG factor for safety is the ability to avoid the accident in the first place in which case the BMW and Honda are likely to be much better than the pedestrian handling that an Impala provides.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

You cannot compare safety ratings between classes. I five star rating in class relative. IN other words, all else being equal, the bigger heavier vehicle is safer.

Reply to
dave

Crash test ratings measure the ability to survive controlled prescribed crash tests, not the ability to protect the occupants in real world situations. That's why Volvo tends to get outscored on those tests -- they base their safety designs on actual accidents, not crash tests.

If I told you that you had to hit an 18 wheeler head on with both of you doing 20MPH and gave you your choice of the 5-series or a civic, are you seriously telling me you'd feel safer in the civic?

Your comment about no airbags in a 1998 BMW shows how little you know about BMWs.

This is the the most correct statement in the post.

Also, the OP sited room to stretch out as a reason to consider the Impala over the E39. Why on earth would he want to fold himself in half to cram into a civic?

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Actually, the debate was between an Impala and a 328. The 328 is over priced--should be something in the range of $7,000-9,500, not $15,000.

In regard to cramming yourself in a Civic, I drive a 50 mile commute every day in a Z4 because I can afford the Z4. If I only had in the range of $15,000 to spend, I'd get something like a new Civic, which I've driven and it isn't the Civic of 20 years, or even one year ago. I don't feel crammed in either car (as you can't drive any car sitting in the back seat, anyway).

Scott O.

Reply to
SO

According to InternetAutoGuid.Com...

Front Headroom

2005 Civic 37.8 inches 1998 BMW 3 series 37.8 inches

Front Leg Room Civic 42.2 inches BMW 32.72 inches

Front Shoulder Room Civic 53.1 inches BMW 53.19 inches

I was incorrect about the airbag. For some reason I was thinking of an 1989 BMW not a 1998.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

According to Kellys Blue Book, the BMW is overpriced by quite a bit.

I like the typical quality of the BMW engines, but don't know about the automatic transmission. I felt that some of the older BMW 3 series were a little lacking where body integrity (paint, mostly, but some panel issues too) was involved.

If I could get the manual transmission BMW for about $10,000, I might just do that and save the $5000 for eventual repairs and maintenance.

Given the current perception of GM quality, I would likely dodge the Impala.

Reply to
<HLS

If you are content in the Impala, and the BMW is not "really better to drive" (the impression you give), then maybe you should get the Impala! BMW's are for enthusiasts that feel the difference, which some people don't. For those of us who do, there is no substitute. The 328 will outlast the Impala by far. The driving pleasure it offers is tremendous and you will likely realize it soon enough if driving 60 miles a day! But it is overpriced, find a 5 speed or an auto that has been maintained (lifetime fluid is not really for the lifetime of the car!) I am selling a 540, 1994 with 125k miles for 7k, super condition! way better than the 328, half the $$! keep looking. With a bimmer, you NEED an independant mechanic that specializes in BMW, or you will be sorry! They are easy to fix also, if you have some wrenching capabilities.

Reply to
SharkmanBMW