over reving

OK I've tried a bit harder now.

You are completely correct.

It will force a change up from 1st to 2nd in manual mode when you hit approx 6300 rpm (inside the red zone).

I still reckon your remarks regarding holding it in gear on a fun twisty road were misplaced though - after all you're not actually going to want to rev it ~6300 and hold it there - and it would be quite a coincidence if the maximumm speed you wanted to do in a particular gear would correspond to say ~6400?

It was fun finding all this out though ;)

Reply to
Jeremy

That's no surprise. ;-)

Yup. On my car the auto transmission gets well into the red zone on kickdown. I'd not expect any different since it's not a brick wall sort of thing. The engine ECU does that.

No. On a manual you 'feel' when the engine is reaching maximum revs since all go over peak power. So you back off slightly. The fooking Steptronic changes up so you end up without maximum power to drift through a corner. When having a play on a deserted road. Basically Steptronic is a waste of time and most who have it never bother with it. The sports auto mode does as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting. Mine only allows a second gear start. Nor can you change up below its limits - although the dash indicator will show the higher gear you've attempted to select before reverting to the actual one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)