Re: 2002 Ford Explorer delay shifting into reverse

Well the Ford dealer that I purchased the Explorer from has finally determined that there is something wrong with my transmission. They are sure it something to do with the fluid pressure so the transmission will have to come out. Because I observed this under warranty, Ford has offer a deal where they pay 80% and I pay 20%. With the car now at 54,000 miles (18,000 out of warranty), I have accepted. Had it only been a few thousand miles out of warranty, I might have asked for a totally free fix. Since that dealer is an hour and 30 minutes from my home I got the idea that Ford might let me get it repaired at the dealership in my home town. I asked and they said ok. After the local dealer got the ok from Ford, they arrange for a rental car for me that Ford will also pay for. So the Explorer goes in next week to have the transmission pulled.

While the results of this repair are still to come, I am thus far very please with the response from Ford. Even if I spend $400 or $500 for a $2000 transmission job, that will be ok. I would also like to compliment the company on their extremely polite customer service staff that answers that 800 number. I felt that everyone did their best to solve this problem

Don Hazle, Port Matilda, Pa.

While researching this subject I came across an almost idential post > to this group. This now brings my total to 3. > Dale sounds just like me. If he is watching this group, I would like > to know how he made out. Look up the post if you wish... I don't want > copy the whole thing in. > > Dale's question was as follows: > start text*************** > Subject 2002 tranny > Posted on March 24th. > > I posted this once, and didn't see it so I am trying again. My > apologies if > it shows up twice. > > Transmission in my 2002 XLT shifts very hard from drive to reverse > with an > audible clunk when the vehicle is stopped. It is also sluggish and > very > soft shifting from reverse to drive. The dealer can't seem to fix it > and > claims it is normal. The odd thing is if the car is moving very > slowly > forward and I shift from drive to reverse it shifts smoothly. > > Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I have had it into the > dealer > 4 or 5 times with no results, and am getting desperate. I like the > car but > I am afraid the transmission won't last. > > Thanks > Dale > End TExt************************** > > > > I have received information from the service department at another > > Ford Dealership that there have been some problems on the 2002 > > Explorers with the what they call the valve body gasket. This problem > > can cause a delay of going into revers. Has anyone heard of this? > > They also say that 4 to 5 seconds delay is too much. > > > > THanks Don Hazle > > > > > When my 2002 explorer had 33,000 (and under warranty) I reported to my > > > dealer that I was getting a significant delay of 3 to 4 seconds when > > > shifting from park or neutral into reverse. The delay seemed to be
Reply to
Donald Hazle

Today I got my 2002 Explorer back for the Ford garage where it was to have the "delay going into reverse" fixed. The fix was to replace the solenoid body which did not require the transmission to be removed. The transmission technician said that this was the first one he had seen, however he added that another person brought one in 2 days later with the identical problem. He also added that a defective solenoid body will cause a hard shift into 3rd gear which was another problem that I reported. Given similar reports in this news group, my guess is that this will turn up on other 2002 Explorers. The cost would have been $460 but I paid $87 (80%) since I had reported it to Ford while still under warranty. Given that my Explorer now has 54,000 miles on it, I feel that I was treated very well by Ford. Ford also provided a rental car for my use at no charge to me. I just drove it back to work and it shifts like the day I purchased it.

Don Hazle d

Reply to
Donald Hazle

Good to hear that you are now happy and Ford did what they were supposed to do. Bill V.

Reply to
Bill V

Just curious, but if it was under warranty, why did you have to pay anything?

Reply to
Paul M

Paul, It only did the delay once while under warranty. For six months and cooler weather the probem went away, During that time I went from

33,000 miles to 48,000. It is possible that I could have been real nasty and got Ford to pay 100%. But considering the circumstances and the 1000 miles I put on the loaner car, I am happy.

Don Hazle

Reply to
Donald Hazle

My problems suddenly got worse. It would intermittently delay shifting into reverse, sometimes up to 4 or five seconds. Sometimes when I tried to shift into reverse it would clunk like it was going into gear twice, about a second apart. I took it to a different dealer. They told me there was a fault code for the valve body. They replaced the valve body, and the problems all seem to be gone. All in all it was a very frustrating experience. I put 32 thousand miles on the car convinced that there was a problem with the transmission, but the dealrs kept claiming it was normal. Even though the problem finally got fixed, I can't help but wonder how much damage was done to the rest of the transmission due to the rough shifting. Perhaps they rely too much on the PCM reported fault codes? Perhaps ford won't pay for repairs without a fault code? All the problems that I had complained about and was told were normal went away when the valve body was replaced.

Dale

Reply to
Dale

Dale,

You didn't say if yours was a 2002. The information that I got after one of my first post was that value body problems had not been noted on the 2002s. That proglem was common on the 2001s and before. The fix for my 2002 was the soloniod body. I must admit that I heard the "this is normal" one too many times. Our experiences are similar.

Don Hazle

Reply to
Donald Hazle