Pedal problem

My 02 E46 330 has a notchy action to the electronic accelerator pedal linkage making smooth starts difficult and driving unpleasant. The action is just the same with the engine switched off . Lubricating the linkage from the outside (through the rubber grommet) makes it more progressive but I'm sure this sort of intervention should not be necessary. It seems there is something mechanically wrong in the module or additional lubrication required. Security torx screws prevent access to it.

At the dealer someone tried the car, said it was "OK" and that a new module would be £120+VAT fitted.

Anyone else had the problem? Can I cause damage using lubricants? Is a new module the answer?

Reply to
David Haggas

If I recall correctly, the 2002 E46 330i has the Hall Sensor-based, fly-by-wire accelerator pedal. There was at one time a defective run of these that acted just as yours does and BMW at the time replaced (among others) mine under warranty. I never tried to take one apart to fix it, but it seems a bit unlikely to me that you could lubricate your way out of it. I'd just replace it--or at least have a new one on hand before trying to sort the old one.

Reply to
JRE

My car is not covered by extended warranty so it looks like I'll have to stand it.

Thanks for the info

David

Reply to
David Haggas