Rear suspension problem

With reference to my other post about scrapping the car, here is the problem with my rear suspension:

When driving over any bumps, the car rattles. I can describe the noise as follows (bear with me). My father used to have a Bedford Rascal van which he delivered wine in. To protect the floor, he put a loose sheet of plywood on the bottom, which would clatter when you went over bumps. My car sounds exactly the same, although I don't have a large sheet of plywood in the back.

I've also lost confidence in the car's handling.

Reply to
Robin

Sounds very like subframe or trailing arm bushings.

Reply to
John Burns

My 6er does the same think, I have pointed out the sub frame bushings.

Reply to
AL

Sure it's not a loose spare wheel? If it's a 5 series the dog-bone links to the rear axle are often over-looked.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

I dont know what model yours is....but BMW's are famous for ripping the subframe mounts from the car. I have removed many a rear seat to reveal broken welds and bracing where the subframe pins seat.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Mine is a 1993 E34 520i. I don't think the spare tyre would cause the same handling problems. I'll have a look under the seat later today.

Reply to
Robin

Ripped subframe mounts is a three series phenomenon. And it is *not* a common one on cars that do not have 1) stiffened suspension and b) been thrshed on the track / autocross circuits.

Reply to
Malt_Hound