Self-leveling Shocks vs. Gas Shocks

I have a '92 525i Touring and both rear accumulators and one self-leveling rear shock is toast...meaning it will cost $1,250 to replace. I can convert the car to gas shocks for about $900 (both prices include labor).

My question is, if I replace the hardware with new springs, good gas shocks, etc., will there be any suspension issues to be concerned about? I don't haul heavy loads but I also don't want the car to sag in the rear when I fill up full of gas. Thanks!

- Scott

Reply to
Scott

I just replace the rear shocks on my '94 325is. For KYB gas, self adjusting shocks including labor for $300. Check around, I think you're paying way to much. They are very easy to replace yourself to save money. My mechanic only charged $50 labor and that included installing new upper shock mounts.

Reply to
Mark K

If you can afford to fill the tank with gas, why bother about saving a few bucks on shocks...?

;-)

Reply to
Zoonosis

hi if y mean the gapring for the rear / front hood y may find a supplier for the original one's at:

as well parts for trucks and busses

tom

Reply to
tom

hi

if y need gas springs for the front /rear hood y may contact

experts for gas springs

tom

Reply to
tom

mean

tom

Reply to
tom

This is the main reason I got a non-self-levelling E34 Touring. Very expensive business when these shocks fail. I think your $900 is money well spent as this is not a trivial job to do properly (remove all s/l components and pipes and blank off pump connections etc...). See if you can get some stiffer (not shorter) springs though.

JB

Reply to
JB