there nis no good help here at all

For a help site about bmw..... this site is the worst. Simple question goes unanswered or some dumb response. I would there some common problems with every BMW the someone somewhere has encountered and has found a fix. I have posted about 7 questions on here so far and NONE has return any useful answer. I am beginning to think this is actually useless.

I will try again with my last QUESTION: My 98 BMW 740iL has a wiper problem.. I shut the car off with the wiper on position [placing the wiper 90 degrees vertical on the windshield] when I return to the car the wiper refused to return to the home position and and stays vertical no matter what wiper setting is selected. Anyone knows whats the fix for this.. I already changed the 2 purple relays.... its not that!

Reply to
jamcashebay00

The name of the group ain't 'help with BMW faults or problems'... You'd do better to find a group specific to your model - usually a Yahoo, etc group.

I don't know your particular model, but most systems have a switch which parks the wipers in the correct position - usually driven off a cam on the motor gearbox. The feed to this is not controlled by the main wiper switch but usually live while the ignition is on. If this feed isn't present - or the parking switch or mechanics faulty - the wipers will park just where the mains switch stops supplying the volts. Checking with a DVM should show whether the feed is present - if it is it would be a question of removing the motor and checking the internal switch, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've seen this problem before. What you need to do is wad a lot of screwed up newspaper up against the firewall, put a match to it and then close the hood. This may seem like strange advice to you, but you get what you pay for. This actually works, and the heat will free up the stiff linkage in the second arm of the toggle sprocket (which is what is causing the problem) and you won't have any more problems with it.

Trust me.

Reply to
Dean Dark

It's not a site, it's a Usenet group. And it's patently obvious that there are hardly any posters here anyway, so why keep trying?

Newsgroups are dead. Everyone's on the web forums.

Reply to
Scott M

You forgot an important step - soaking the newspaper with gasoline (at least

91 octane).

Tom

Reply to
tom_k

Well actually you have posted over 20 within the 'memory' of my reader about a load of different cars - so perhaps you are a dealer trying to get FoC diagnosis.

Run the wipers and pull the ignition key when they are at the bottom.

Otherwise whatever the sensor is has twisted around the shaft.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Sad but true...

Reply to
dizzy

The wiper motor has a sensor inside that tells it where Home Position is. Your motor has lost track of home position.

You can replace the motor, or you can open the motor and try to fix it. OR you can turn the wipers on, let them run a swipe or two, then turn the key off when the wiper position is at the proper home, then see if they will remain in that home position when you operate the wiper control switch.

You can lift the wipers off of the glass if you want.

Turn the key ON Turn the wipers ON When the wipers move to home, turn the key OFF Turn the wipers OFF Turn the key ON and see if the wipers remain at home. IF YES Always turn the wipers OFF before turning the key OFF

IF NO Replace the wiper motor.

ENDIF

There are any number of mechanical reasons why the wipers stop in the wrong place, you should be able to easily find the one that is making your life Hell as you go after the wiper motor. As I said above, there is an electrical reason too.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

This isn't a help site about BMW. This isn't a site at all, and it's not for help. This is a Usenet discussion group.

No, it wouldn't be. It could be a lot of different things including the position sensor on the motor or the magic box that controls the motor. This is an example of the kind of excessive electronic creeping featurism that has been discussed onm another thread.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Actually, I'm with you there. A lot of the forums, particularly the US ones, are hell bent on filling the screen with endless clutter making actually seeing some sort of message almost impossible.

I quite like bmwland.co.uk for its layout. The footers and avatars are minimal and the colour scheme quite restful!

Reply to
Scott M

I'm not sure that sentiment is accurate. If one is inclined to be an idiot, they are not going to care that they are an idiot in a forum or on a newsgroup.

Personally, I prefer the text-based presentation of the newsgroup over the Web-based HTML presentation of a forum.

Text-based gets my vote ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland