Power all gone on BMW 530TD - NO UMPH - HELP HELP HELP

Dear all,

I have a S plate BMW 530TD. 140k on clock and over time (good few months) it has lost its Umph from I guess the Turbo. Used to take off like a rocket but appears to drive like a Non turbo diesel and is somewhat sluggish now (MPG no different).

Any advise on what it could be and if 'simple' to fix.

I don't notice any unusual sounds coming from the engine dept when its being driven & BMW garage report that the Turbo Pressure is low and needs "Further Investigation !"

This sounds expensive :(

Is it as simple as perhaps a sensor gone which needs simple replacement, it is it more sinister, mechanical and EXPENSIVE :(

Any advice on how I can get my umph back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Reply to
a.j.beddoes

Any fault warning on?

Disconnect the MAF multiplug and have a short drive. the MIL will be on, but if performance has increased somewhat (wont be 100%) then its a dead MAF. If no change, then you definataly have turbo problems.

Turbo's are known to fail on these anyhow- you can do a preliminary check for seizure by removing the intake hose and checking the compressor wheel is free to rotate.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The BMW garage is probably correct. At that sort of mileage and age it's probably stuffed. You can get replacement turbo chargers for them but it's probably not worth it unless you can afford to pay for everything else about to drop off. It's probably worth less than a replacement turbo charger so it's up to you.

Reply to
simon

Check for split hoses - the type which are OK until the turbo pressure builds up and then the split opens up.

Happened to me with my 306 TD following replacement of the glowplugs Removal of the intercooler caused a split in the pipe from the turbo. This resulted in acceptable around town performance, but complete lack of guts on any hill, and a 50-60mph acceleration time measurable with the aid of a calendar.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon