AIR COND/SWEET SMELL 97 SEVILLE SLS

THE past few days, on the occasions i use my ac, i've been getting an scent, from the vents. Something similar to Oil. Or Oil like. ...........I assume perhaps it means im running out of refrigerant.

Other than that, the ac and the car is running perrrrrrrfectly. If anyone can help, id be grateful.

TIA,

gil

Reply to
gardentart

wrote

Could also be mold on the evaporator coil, possibly due to a plugged drain hose. Mine soaked the front carpets before I noticed.

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Heater core could have a leak.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Wouldnt something related to the heater core happen even without running the AC?

gil

Reply to
gardentart

The sweet smell is coolant from the heater core. The heater core is leaking, probably a small leak, you can add some cooling system tabs to stop it for a while.

Reply to
Curtis

Yes, but you might not smell it unless the blower was running. Eventually, you'd have coolant on the carpet.

Reply to
NickySantoro

-------------I ve been having the onboard diagnostic telling me to CHECK COOLANT LEVEL. Is this related to it? Also, Whats involved in fixing it? Big job//small job?

Reply to
gardentart

wrote

And have you done that? DUH!

Double DUH!

Take it to a dealer, mechanic or radiator shop.

Someone who ignores warning lights and doesn't know that engine coolant flows through the heater has no business trying a do-it-yourself fix. Probably $200-500.

OTOH, just keep driving it and ignore the OVERHEATING warning when it appears and then come back here and ask us why it stopped running and smelled kinda hot.

Reply to
Ken Abrams

------------------The coolant level isnt low, and the car is not overheating. I was told that the acidity in the coolant is broken down and just needs to be flushed and refilled.

gardentart

Whoever told you that should NOT be the person you choose to repair your leaking heater core.

Leaking coolant always smells sweet, and sweet smell in the pass area usually means you've either got a cotton candy machine in your back seat, or your heater core is leaking.

You can fill your radiator with pure water, and as long as the level is correct, your overheat light won't come on.

Acidity? Wow... that's a new one.

-- ~~R.Banks

Reply to
Robin Banks

wrote

And exactly how do you know this? If there is a leak in the system, the coolant in the engine/radiator can be low while the overflow bottle is still full.

Keep driving it. It will.

If it hasn't been done before, it IS time for a flush (10 years or 100K miles) and that might be why the "Check Coolant" light is on but I wouldn't gamble on it if it was my car.

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Hello One, Hello All:

The "check coolant level" warning is a serious matter, and requires an immediate analysis. The problem may be that you need to flush and refill your coolant system. On the other hand the problem may be more serious, i. e. a small leak in one of the coolant system hoses, or dysfunctional radiator, which needs to be replaced. Sometimes very small holes in one or more of your hoses can cause your warning light to display becasue your system has a slow leak that drys before you ever notice.

Is there a a small puddle or stain after the car has been parked overnight? Have your shop pressure test your system, and run dye through your system to trace the source of the leak. Other problems could be that the water pump seal is faulty and needs to be replaced, or the most serious problem could be that coolant is leaking into your oil system. That is major, since it would most likely mean that you need to have your head gasket replaced, and that is an expensive repair. The least cost problem and repair is just replacing the pressure cap on your overflow botttle, or just replacing the thermostat.

At any rate, address this situation with haste, and save that lovely Northstar...the power that is ours to hold.......Treat it as if it is a sick relative who really needs your help.

Peace is better than aggression,

Famous

Ken Abrams wrote:

Reply to