Turn key....nothing happens.

Hello all. A few days ago I was out running errands in my 90 GT. Everything was fine and normal. I got home, and proceeded to open my hatch with the alarm transmitter. Nothing happened. Assuming it was just acting up, I went ahead and opened it with the key. Once I got it covered, I tried to arm the alarm. Again nothing. I came inside and changed batteries. Still nothing. At this point it was suggested to me to try starting the car again. When I got in and turned the key, it was totally silent. No click. No buzz. Nothing. All the idiot lights come on, and everything seems to be getting good juice from the battery. It's been suggested by several friends that my alarm might be the culprit. If the "brain" has gone out, it might be preventing me from starting the car. I'd like the input of anyone here. Does this seem reasonable? After all, I've had dead batteries in the past, and each time there was at least a click, buzz, or something. Now I turn the key and it's completely quiet. I read in a Ford shop manual that if the starter or solenoid is faulty there should at least be a clicking sound. So....any input from you all is appreciated. I have a friend who's gonna disconnect the alarm from my ignition, so we can see if it'll start. I'm hoping this works. Still, if anyone has any other concerns I should be looking into, I'll be grateful for the advice. Thanks to all.

Randy

90 GT

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

It definately sounds as though the alarms starter interupt is causing the problem. You will either have to get the alarm to cycle (arm/disarm) to get the contact in the starting circuit back or bypass it where it interupts the circuit (most likely at clutch interlock switch.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

A starter relay ( solenoid) can die a "hard" death and not even click. I would get a test light or a voltmeter pull the primary ( small red with light blue stripe) wire off the solenoid and test for voltage on it when you turn the key to the crank position. If you get no voltage then something is interrupting the wiring from the ignition switch whether it be your alarm or a bad connection, faulty clutch switch or neutral safety switch if so equipped. If you get voltage then you it is most likely the solenoid. A quick and dirty way to test the solenoid is to get a piece of wire ( or screwdriver ) and touch the primary wire connection to the positive wire of the battery and see if the solenoid energizes. HTH StuK

oh and ahem, Horsepowered.com Sucks

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Check to see if your alarm module has a reset switch...

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

A shorted cell in the car battery can cause some of the symptoms you are having. Do the idiot lights go out when you turn the key?

Reply to
Ironrod

Thanks for the replies so far. To answer some of your questions about what's happened... When I turn the key I hear a noise that has been ordinary all along...a short-term buzz (from my fuel pump?), then the key turns all the way to ignition, but nothing happens. I turned my lights on, and noticed no apparent dimming during this effort. As for the various dash lights, I seem to recall they all stay on while trying to start, and stay on since ignition isn't achieved. My father helped me try jumping the battery, yet it made no difference.

So far the main concensus is that my problem is related to the alarm. I failed to inform you all I have had the same alarm system on the car since the first week I bought it, over 13 years ago. During that time I only had to replace the siren once. (For anyone interested, it was a Code Alarm).

I appreciate very much the input you've given so far, and I will post again when I've isolated the problem. A friend who installs car audio equipment and alarms at my place of work is gonna help me out. He will un-splice the alarm wires from the ignition, and I'll try firing it up. If it still won't start I need service. If it does, I know the alarm was the culprit. Either way I've decided it's time for a new alarm. :-)

Randy

90 GT

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

Try shorting around the solenoid, those things do occasionally go bad and when that happens the engine will just set there and look at you.

Reply to
Ironrod