decent wide whitewall sought for 1992 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance

Firestone has the FR380 still which has a whitewall though not a huge one. Decent price. Kauffman tire has them under their private label as well. I don't think anyone outside the specialty shops have a wide white anymore.... Sucks for those of us with old cars.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Does anyone know if the Toyo Spectrum in P225/75R15 has a decent-sized whitewall? Can't find pictures of that exact size.

Reply to
The Derfer

Don't buy the GT Maxtour, buy the GT Champiro 75. I have them on a similar Cadillac that I've owned for 20 years. They have a white sidewall slightly over 1" wide. I find them great under all driving conditions. I don't live in the U.S. but I work in the tire industry & I know that you can phone 1

800 4GTUSA1 to find a dealer near you. I've had Uniroyals & Toyos on my car but prefer the GTs.
Reply to
Colin Mellander

No, but a 225/70-15 Sumitomo HTR-200 has quite a wide whitewall. It's well over an inch in width, looks like it takes up almost one-third of the sidewall. It's definitely on the wider side of whitewalls that I've seen, short of the full deal. I know it's a bit smaller than what you're looking for, although the load rating should be fine.

It's got very good traction in dry and wet, and it's pretty quite. Downsides include zippo traction in snow or on wet grass/mud, and I find it wears fairly quickly. It's the OEM size for my '78 Trans Am (well, it's the closest equivalent to a GR70-15) and I'm on my second set of them. Tire Rack used to sell them; I don't know who carries them these days.

....Ed

Reply to
ed.toronto

Can't find those anywhere. Might be discontinued.

Reply to
The Derfer

They're still in Sumitomo's catalogue:

onpage 7. The "slim" whitewall is a lot more than slim. I have the whitewalls inside, because it's a Trans Am.)

You could try asking Sumitomo who might carry it. Tire Rack still had some stock available when I got the second set a few years ago. I'm in Canada, and I'm pretty sure that I could never get this size locally. I wonder what inspired Sumitomo to make this tire; is there some performance/luxury Japanese car that takes these tires?

....Ed

Reply to
ed.toronto