To Whitewall or Not to Whitewall? That is my question...

Tomorrow I'm getting three new tires put on my car. I was forced to replace the other tire a couple of months ago after a blowout. A couple of weeks after they put that tire on, I happened to notice, when approaching the car from a distance, that the new tire they'd put on was actually a whitewall, which they'd put on backwards so it would match the other three blackwall tires. Since the three new tires that will be going on tomorrow will be the same as that whitewall, I was thinking of having it turned around and having all four whitewalls facing out. But I talked to the station owner about it and he said that most people either don't have whitewalls these days or else have them facing in. I was watching the traffic going by as he talked, and didn't see a single vehicle with whitewall tires, which would seem to support what he was saying. He said this would be especially true of a Volvo 240 wagon like mine, as the 240s never originally came with whitewalls.

So... what do you all think? Keep the whitewalls hidden? Or have the whitewalls facing out and have the one already on the car turned around? Thoughts?

thanks! Patricia

Reply to
Patricia Butler

Go with the whitewalls! It's a cool retro look that shows your originality and suits your 240 wagon, even though they are not original.

Why follow the crowd?

ID

Reply to
Inno

Well, it certainly is a matter of individual taste but I have owned a BUNCH of Volvos and never had whitewalls on them.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

Wow...I hadn't seen whitewall tires at the tire dealer in 10 years. If you like the look then go for it. Whitewalls to take a bit more maintenance to keep them from looking grungy though.

Reply to
Roadie

Hi,

I had whitewalls originally on my '58 445 wagon. (Yes, that's '58 445 wagon....) They were the WIDE whitewalls. I liked them. When I mounted snowtires I got whitewall RINGS (!) for them, to maintain the cool retro look.......

Happy days! Andy I. ('58 445 wagon; '65 122S wagon; '67 121 2-door direct import; '74 145 wagon and '74 142 2-door (Both a matching "Burnt Orange" colour...); '86 245 wagon; '93 245 Classic Wagon.)

: >So... what do you all think? Keep the whitewalls hidden? Or have the : >whitewalls facing out and have the one already on the car turned : >around? Thoughts? : >

: >thanks! : >Patricia : : Well, it certainly is a matter of individual taste but I have owned a : BUNCH of Volvos and never had whitewalls on them. : : Chuck Fiedler : Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
Andy

Tyres (tires if you insist!) are one of the most important *functional* components of a car since they are your interface with the road surface and are vital for correct handling and adhesion.

It is therefore important to choose tyres for their functional qualities - cosmetics just don't come into it!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Patricia, Depends on how you feel about your "image". If a traditionalist of some kind, leave them black. But if you are a more out-in-front sort of girl, and like a spiffy ride, go for the white walls. Heck, you might even want to get a hood scoop, airfoil and ground effects and add some magnetic flames to the side... I have been joking with a friend's 11 year old daughter who has been lobbying that I should "pimp my ride". I'll Photoshop it first and see.

Reply to
carterbear1

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, Patricia Butler sprach forth the following:

Wide whitewalls connote '57 Chevy's and Eisenhower optimism. Skinny whitewalls bring to mind leisure suits and Jimmy Carter 'malaise'.

Which statement do you wish to make?

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

The part of the tire that is white cannot contain carbon black. Carbon block helps to protect rubber form oxidation. The sidewalls of whitewall tires are therefor subject to degradation. That is the price of vanity.

Reply to
Marvin

If you are willing to keep them clean then go for the whitewall look!

John

Reply to
John Horner
Reply to