Any 1970-73 Camaro Experts Here??

If so, I am hoping that someone can help me out. Can someone please tell me what those things are in the front nose of the car which is located between the headlights and the grill?? It looks like some kind of removable piece that slides in and out near the grill. What are they called and what is the purpose of them??

I was looking at a 1972 Camaro in my local car magazine, and whatever these things are, they were missing. There was just 2 holes there on each side of the grill.

Below is a link to a picture of a camaro that has them. Take a look. It is right in between the headlights and the upper grill and it looks like some kind of removable piece?? Does anybody know what these are??? Thanks!!!

MICHELLE H.

If you are asking about the chrome things that hang down from the bumper on either side of the grill, those are called "Bumper Guards". They're purpose in life is to protect the grill from being damaged should you hit something small such as small animals, neighbor children, little old ladies or nudging the car in front of you when parallel parking. They can be removed by simply unbolting them from the bumper. IMHO, they're ugly and don't do much good. Anybody driving these cars rarely go slow enough for them to be useful in any way. The 350 LT1 engine and a 4 speed made for a fairly fast car for it's time.

I actually prefer the '70 & '71 RS "Split Bumper" design. Much prettier. No protection for the grill, but what the heck. Looks much cooler.

MICHELLE H. wrote:

Reply to
Tom Crabtree

Thanks for the info. but the part that I am talking about is located right next to the UPPER grill. Take a look at the link to the pic that I posted in my first message. Right next to the UPPER grill there is a piece that is in the shape of the letter "U" and it is facing sideways. It looks like some kind of pullout or removable panel???

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

Here's another pic of a 73 without a bumper. No U shaped pieces there.

MICHELLE H. wrote:

Reply to
Tom Crabtree

Reply to