2003 Trail Blazer spare tire stuck

What the hell holds this thing up? I can pull the cable through the center piece going through the rim center hole but it still doesn't move the tire down enough to tilt and slip the plate through the rim center hole. It looks like the crank only lets cable out or cranks it back in or does it do something else? If I could get it down another inch I could get it off.

This has got me stumped.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Some of them have a safety lock. In case the cable snaps it won't just fall out. If the cable can be pulled down, but the Center Tire Support is still locked in, then that's your problem. Crack it back up tight, and try lowering it back down. If you Leave the cable slacked while cracking, you could tangle it. Same as if you lowed it with no space tire to help it go down. They will get knotted up internally, and they it would have to be replaced.

Reply to
JBDragon

Well the safety lock must be stuck because I did crank it up and down a few times. I had someone pull on the cable while I cranked so it wouldn't get kinked. Problem is now how do I get to the safety lock when I can't get the tire out of the way? There were two of use under the truck trying to slam the tire back up to release the lock. I can see a couple arms in the shape of a V which I think is what actually holds the tire up, not just the cable. Maybe I can block the tire up and smack on the tire support and cross my fingers.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Top posting sucks!

Meat Plow wrote:

Yes, there is some corrosion. If you can spot that protruding toggle and push it in the tire will release. This was a horrible "invention".

Reply to
nonsense

cut that thing down and put it in the back. it will leave you jammed.

Reply to
Picasso

Or get your local weld shop to fab a good old fashioned bolt up bracket for the spare. Use stainless bolts or nuts and anti seize.

Reply to
nonsense

That sounds like a good idea.

Reply to