Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke

I know how to find TDC. But how do you find TDC of the compression stroke for the #1 cylinder? One method I read about involved putting your finger in the spark plug hole while rotating the engine crankshaft! Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Captian Coleman

I pull the #1 plug then stick my thumb over the spark plug hole and bump the starter until the compression pops my thumb off, At this point I insert a long plastic drinking straw into the cylinder (you could use a long plastic zip/wire tie, I like plastic cause it can't scratch or gouge threads, cylinder walls or piston tops) then I spin the crank by hand (with a socket and ratchet/breaker bar if needed) until my high tech plastic indicator reaches the top and starts back down, I move the crank back and forth to insure I am at absolute Top Dead Center. Works right every time. Now for inserting the distributor, there is not much space between the distributor gear teeth, it is quite easy to miss by one tooth. Be very observant and careful during this part of the process. If your oil pump drive is leaning to far to one side to easily slip up into the distributor shaft you can stick a glob of grease between the low side of the hole and the oil pump drive shaft to hold it in the center.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

Thanks, I think I get the idea of how the procedure works. A plastic straw is a much better idea than using my finger!

Reply to
Captain Coleman