2005 Silverado Duramax - Engine Coolant Heater?

I bought an '05 2500HD with the Duramax in July off of a dealer's lot. It did not come with an engine coolant (aka block) heater.

Up here in Central NY where the tempatures occasionally get below 0F it would probably be happier with one.

Should I just try to get an OE one installed by a dealer? Or are there aftermarket ones that perform better (i.e. require less than four hours to get to optimum temperature)?

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey C Honig

I thought it was standard on the Duramax. My '01 Chevy 3500 Duramax has one, but I have never used it. The lowest temperature I recall starting mine in was +14 F degrees. No problem starting at that temperature even though it had set outside overnight.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer

My '04 2500 has it, although it is very well hidden. When the salesman was going over the truck with me at delivery, I asked where the heater cord was. It took him a few minutes to find it, but it was there.

That was a year and a half ago, can't say I could go out and put my hand on it right now. Look around, right side, front of engine compartment, tucked away out of easy view...

Or, take it back to the dealer and ask them to find it for you.

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

I cannot imagine that they would ship it without one. It is likely well hidden.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I'll check again when I get a chance. But it is an option (K05 I think, $35 list) that was not listed on my window sticker. I need to call a dealer and have them pull the assembly spec for my truck.

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey C Honig

It should be included in the DuraMax package.

From the "optional equipment" listing for 2005 2500HD 6.6 LLY

V8, Turbo Diesel, 6.6 Liter 4,566.60 5,310.00 (N/A w/Snow Plow Prep Pkg-VYU on 4WD Models w/8' Bed) (Std w/Power Pkg-PDN) (Req's Manual Trans-ML6 or Auto Trans-M74) (Req's Axle Ratio-GT4) Includes (2) HD 770-cca Batteries, Engine Block Heater & High Capacity Air Cleaner

You are correct that the block heater is an option (K05), but is listed as std with the LLY

K05 Heater, Engine Block 30.10 35.00 (Std w/LLY 6.6L Diesel Engine)

DJ

Reply to
DJ

That KO5 option is if you have a gas motor, it comes with diesel package. YOu will not start one without it if it gets cold enough.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

OK, I was confused by the online ordering system. Usually when an option is included it checks it for you.

I finally found the cord! After lying on my back for five minutes I found the block heater in the block. I traced the wire back into a bundle and finally, after climbing on top of the engine, I was able to see where the cord was tied up. It was hidden under the plastic sheath right next to the second battery.

I had to climb back onto the engine to cut the ties and route it around the side of the air cleaner where I can reach it.

Thanks for giving me incentive to keep looking!

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey C Honig