4WD engages very late on K2500

Hi!

When I pull the lever for 4WD on my Suburban -94, it can take some time before the 4WD actually is engaged and the 4WD light gets on. I know that it need some time to synchronize, but have a feeling that this is getting worse. Anyone who have an idea what could be the problem?

Roald

Reply to
Roald Kleiveland

Mike Levy

There is a updated solenoid for this fix. I heard it was some kind of heating element or something but dont hold me to it. I think its about

120 at a dealership, maybe cheaper somewhere else. I know my stepdad got the part and had a friend put it in. Now as long as your in park, put it in 4x4, and then put it in gear it will engage instantly.
Reply to
Mike Hunt

the original design was a thermolinear actuator, IOW, it used a heater to heat a gas up to push out a piston. the revised 98+ design is a electromechanical actuator, IOW it uses a motor and gears to push the plunger out. it is super fast and is immune to temperature. I bought mine from

for under 80 bucks a couple of years ago.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks a lot for your most describing answer. Can you if possible please also tell me:

1) Is this actuator located on the transfer-case or the front-axle? 2) Is it the 4wd that doesn't activate or is it the free-wheel-hub that doesn't lock up?
Reply to
Roald Kleiveland

the actuator is mounted on the front of the front axle, roughly in the center, above the axle center line.

99% chance that the CAD actuator is dying and keeping the front axle from engaging as fast as it should..

this is how the system is set up:

pull the lever, switch on top of transfer case energizes the CAD actuator, pushing in a plunger in the front axle, engaging the passenger side (if memory serves) axle, which in turn flips a position switch on the axle which lights the 4X4 light on the floor.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase