Bmw 318i 2001 - Battery Light Comes On And Temporary Loss Of Power

Hi there - can anyone help on this - I have a 2001 BMW 318I which after being is fine when running from cold but after a while the battery light comes on and the car temporarily loses power and jerks back before recovering. It may then not do it again for some time but the problem always reoccurs at some point. I have taken the car to several different garages who can find no fault - the problem is now driving me to distraction - any advice would be most gratefully received.

Julie L :confused:

Reply to
CASARNBIL

"CASARNBIL" wrote

It sounds like something is wrong with the alternator. If the jerking occurs *before* the light comes on, something is jamming - usually the A/C compressor - and causing the accessory belt to stop. A close inspection of the belt should tell you if this is the case since it will have scorch/slip marks.

If not that, I would have someone take a close look at the alternator. However, they don't often go out... Might be the master relay, too.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I disagree. If the alternator were the problem there would be no instantaneous effect to the engine running. My guess would be a bad ground connection somewhere, like the ground strap that runs from the engine to the chassis? That might explain both symptoms...

Reply to
Malt_Hound