92 Defroster not working.. Help!!

My 92 Chevy Z71 Defroster is not coming on.. The floor, bi level, heat works fine but when I press the defroster button warm/any air does not come out of top dash. One time after about 10 min it come on..

Can somebody spoon feed me on what to check. Give me exact location were I need to check.

snipped-for-privacy@usit.net Tks Dave Tenn

Reply to
Say itaintso

I had a similar problem with the AC head unit in my 1990 truck. I believe that the system was still used in the 1992 model with the addition of a recalculating mode button.

Do all of the features of the AC climate control selector seem to work? In other words, does the screen show some movement of the indicator between the icons? If this is the case, the control unit may be working properly, but there may be trouble with the electrical connection.

To access the AC control on my truck, I needed to take out four screws to remove the plastic surround covering the edges of the dashboard. After this, there were a couple of screws holding the AC head unit into the dash. After removing these screws, the AC control could be pulled out of the dash and I could access the clip which connected it to the wiring harness.

It was corrosion in this connection which caused a number of problems (no hot/cold temperature control, no control of air flow, inability to select the AC mode, etc.) with the AC control on my truck. Unplugging and re-plugging the electrical connection solved my problem and it might solve yours. Using a no-residue contact spray is also beneficial. At this point, you can test out the system before re-installing the AC control.

Hope this helps.

PS: I also traced some mysterious problems with the stereo to its connections to the wiring harness. The stereo on the 1990 truck contained three components: The tuner, the equalizer/cassette and the under dash amplifier which was behind the ash tray. Unplug, clean and re-plug all of the stereo connections and this should fix things.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot