93 S10 will not turn off

My 1993 S10 pick up will start and run. But I can't turn the key off. I have to pop the clutch with the brake on to cut the engine. The key comes out. But the switch will not go back off. When I leave the truck for any length of time I have to disconnect the battery. Is there a way I can just bypass the ignition switch all together? And put a different one in under the dash or something?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David

When my '92 S10 did this I took it to the dealer and had a new keyswitch put in. Took about 45 minutes and cost me $80.00 total.

In order to shut off the truck I was told to pull the ECM fuse.

Reply to
Drumstick

you can change the key cylinder in about 45 minutes for around 15 dollars (cost of new key switch ) but the actual eletric switch is over the colume above the break pedel .it has about 10 flat contacts that lay down and a slide that moves back and forth ..i have saw a couple of those raise up in side and lock up before. you can change the bottem switch in under a hour also ..hope this helps.

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks. A locksith told me that it is the actuator rod( that slide that you mentioned) that locks up and I need a new steering column.

I will check out that bottom switch.

Dave

Reply to
David

Is that the same as the key cylinder switch? I was told that in replacing it I would still have the same prob. Some rod is locked up in the steering column.

Dave

Reply to
David

Yeah, I'm referring to the key cylinder. Mine just wore out. Sounds like your problem is a different one. Sorry.

Reply to
Drumstick

I posted this about a similar problem in my 2001 silverado. Mine would not turn ON. but it was the same prob as yours.

The fix was CHEAP after figured out how to get the wheel off the column. The lock cylinder had a defective spring on the bar which is engaged under all circumstances EXCEPT when the key is in the cylinder and turned. Solution: either a new cylinder, or, remove the bar so that any chevy key will work.

Delco service center solution: replace steering column with a used one.

Chev dealer solution: "dunno, it could be just about anything" (translation - hold your pocket open with both hands)

Reply to
Derek

Found the problem, took the motor apart and the brushes are making poor contact to the armature.. only a thin line of contact. More junk from GM

Reply to
joexm

Gee by model year a 13 year old electric motor wore out.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

My 1989 s-10 Still has its ORIGINAL starter , So whats the DEAL ? also Same Engine, Tranny , !!! Ps// Tranny has the original Fluid in it also ( 700r) It been a SNOW plow truck since 1995 . No oil coolers or such..

Engine oil is Quaker state, .. I have change the oil 5 times since I bought this TRUCK new in the FALL of 1988 ( $8300.00 4X4 ). 275,000 miles on the Truck NOW.. I finally Changed the OXYGEN sensor This summer .... ( Crossove rotted out !)

Reply to
no one

never changed the tranny fluid ,you must be rich to be able to buy vehicle and just destroy them like that ,and for your info under normal conditions a starter that is 13 years old with thousands of startings on it it would be a miracle it even worked at all ,now a tranny that never had its fluid changed hmm now is it still red or is it black as can be which means it is no longer really a lubricant and for your info unless you changed your radiator to a radiator out of a manual vehicle it does have a tranny cooler it is built into the radiator ,and it is a good thing to know who not to listen to for any kind of advice thank you

Reply to
badaztek

My 89 S-10 has the same tranny fluid in it when I bought the TRUCK NEW in 1988 that makes it 17 years old . 275,000 miles

Also for ur information, The truck Has been plowing Snow ever since

1995. Here in Michigan!! Lots of Commercial parking lots also!

and for your info unless

Reply to
no one