factory oil cooler (adaptor)

My 90 GMC 4x4 developed an oil leak where the adaptor for the oil cooler lines mounts to the block. According to the parts guy (he knew the part number before I finished describing what I needed) it's a very common problem.

So I start trying to get the lines off with a 'regular' 1" wrench... too long. I go to a crow's foot (line style... box end with a gap) - not enough room. Try the 'shorty' 1" open end - I can move it about 1/12 turn with each 'grab'. Then I try a 'standard' (open end) crow's foot - not much luck so back to the shorty.

I get the bottom line about halfway out and decide to move some things to speed it up. Remove a support bracket that goes from the bellhousing up to.... well I'm not sure where it went I just removed the bottom bolt. Also remove the front drive shaft. That allows about 1/6 turn per grab with the shorty.

So the bottom line is all the way out but it's being jammed in the adaptor by a bracket (that supports the lines) on the front of the engine. I don't seem to be able to get to the top line without moving the bottom one. Thinking if I drop the adaptor I won't be able to get enough torque on the line to remove it. Planning to remove the bracket tomorrow and hopefully move the bottom line.

Or, I could go ahead and drop the adaptor and hope I can still loosen the top line.

One possiblity that I thought of but didn't pursue... just dropping the adaptor with the lines connected and trying to replace the gasket and o-ring that way.

Anyone done this before? Tips / suggestions?

Tom

Reply to
T. Penick

Take the lines out of the adaptors, there is a little clip in a groove that holds them in place.

You might have to clean it to see it.

Then just use a socket to remove the fitings.

Most likely your leak will be between the lines and the adapter that screws in the block. But to be sure reseal the fittings in the block and put new o-rings on the lines.

Good luck

Reply to
mathijs

yes, that works. just be carefull and do not kink the lines

john

Reply to
johnny