'93 Suburban good buy?

I am (was) a Ford guy, currently looking at purchasing Chevy #3... A

1993 Suburban 1500 Silverado 4WD, HI MILES (200k) but the machine is in great shape, runs and shifts smooth, incredibly clean save a few nicks and broken buttons that come w/ 14 years of service...

So, #1 - Are there any quirks I should be aware of (ie tranny goes out at 201k)? #2 - The ABS light comes on when driving, turns off when braking, brake pedal feels a bit soft. Had no problems stopping, no noises, etc. Brake fluid level is fine, if a bit dark. What I've read it seems it could be a bad ABS wheel sensor (and maybe brakes need bled?), but did not get a chance to get the fault codes. Is this a common problem, or not enough info?

Thanks for your sage advice

Reply to
QBS

I owned a loaded '94 Suburban SilveradoK1500 from new until last year,

245,000 Km when I sold it. Got lots of off road use too. The only major repairs it got was the transmission 4th and 1st planetaries went at about 200,000. Had the entire tranny rebuilt for $1500 at that point. Don't think it's a notorious weak point though. One alternator replacement, intake manifold gasket (coolant leak on to oil filter was the tipoff), 4x4 subsystem rock solid, body solid, engine just as strong as when new, changed oil and lubed every 5000kms though. A/C compressor replaced on warranty when 1 year old. Cruise module went at 160,000....got a used one from a wrecker. Other than that, just routine maintenance. They're a pretty durable unit. It had the odd electrical gremlin that always disappeared on next startup.The intake manifold is a weak point. But overall, one of the best vehicles I've owned.
Reply to
Augustus

.The

I mean the manifold gasket, not the manifold. The ABS was flawless during the whole time. Just remembered that the engine oil cooler lines (trailer towing package) would slowly sweat oil at the line compression fitting at the rad side. It started at about year four, and I never bothered changing the line out. Just a slow seep that never increased but would take out about half a liter between changes and mess up the lower rad and frame area. Mileage wasn't great, and the TBI 350 with 3.73's lacked a bit of torque in a 5500lb vehicle, but I stuck in a Hypertech module, bumped the timing a couple of degrees and ran premium. That made a fair bit of difference.

Reply to
Augustus