Adding trailer lights...

Hello all...

2003 S-10, extended cab, V6, 2WD is the usual victim...

I've been trailering a moderately sized trailer (able to hold two riding lawn mowers comfortably) and while all the rear lights on my truck remain completely visible, it has occurred to me that I should really be making arrangements for the trailer lights to work as well.

My question is how to go about doing this sort of thing? This will be the first vehicle I've ever had to wire myself for trailer lighting and I'd like to know where to get the supplies to do the wiring and perhaps any pitfalls to watch out for.

Thanks!

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

you can pick up a "boat trailer lighting kit" at walmart for about 30 bucks... it'll have everything you need for the trailer, then while you're there, pick up the ez wiring adapter for your truck... it should install in about 10 minutes.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Buy a plug and play wiring harness. Mine plugged in right above the driver's frame-rail. I'll link a pic, it'll be a temporary link but should get you there for the next week or so...

Mike Levy

Ya I did the same thing on my 2000 Sonoma for pulling my boat. Beware of those Wal-Mart harness kits (as well as any other Wal-Mart product, for that matter) They are cheapo. the one I got from there lasted about 2 weeks and the ground pin in the trailer plug pulled out. I got a better one from Bumper to Bumper and all is well now.

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Harbor Freight

has a trailer lighting kit for under $20 bucks. For a little more money you can buy a nice maganetic mount taillight kit from UHaul, and use it for your trailer and also for towing cars without lights etc.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Addendum to my post

here is the item number - ITEM 41782-2VGAabout $15.00

Reply to
Mark Allread