Alternator Shorted to Ground

Hello All,

My 96 Chevy S-10 was running bad after a battery change. I found that the positive battery terminal was shorted to chasis. Now the alternator does not charge the battery.

Does anyone know what type of failure to look for?

Can I simply replace the electronics module in my alternator?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

First check for 12 volts on the main terminal of the alternator, if its there, plan on replacing the alt. If its not then check for a blown charging fuse in the under hood fuse block, not sure that year had one, or a blown fuse link in the wire between the alt main terminal and the battery. even then your probably still looking at a new alternator. Can you change the diode trio and the voltage regulator, yes, but why? factor in parts cost, no warranty, time to R&R the alt, the time to take it apart, replace the parts, put it back together, and its just not cost effective. Plus the parts are almost as much as a reman alternator

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks Whitelightning,

That is just the kind of practical advice I needed.

Reply to
Mark