Anyone w/Geo Metro experience

I'm rebuilding a 1 L Geo Metro 3 cyl. I am assuming I have to heat the pistons and the pin end of the rods, and freeze the wrist pins to be able to press them together...There are no keepers on these. ?????? thanks. . . . Please excuse my wrong newsgroup choice.

Reply to
Chas

Are these worth rebuilding?

Reply to
Troy

Heat the rod ends and press them together. You DON'T heat the pistons unless you want some nice sculptures. Wrist pins in the fridge helps.

Then just grab the engine in one hand and drop it in....

Reply to
Steve W.

******** I live at 5300 feet ASL and I have attained 61 mpg twice (distance 56 mles includes 8 city miles) driving at 74 MPH. Try to find one to buy now. At faster highway speeds my mileage drops down to 57 mpg. Mine is a 4 speed manual tranny. Even Subaru Justys are impossible to find now. I averaged 37.5 mpg with the Justy I owned previously.
Reply to
Chas

Reminds me, the time I got called to repair a walk behind lawn mower, blowing smoke. The oil is massively over filled. Turns out, the guy checked the dipstick, found it to be low. Added the entire quart, like he did on the car.

Much the same deal, drain and put in the proper 20 ounces of oil.

.

The last one I had here was owned by our Chiefs daughter. Her kid decided to help her out and changed the oil. She brought it to me because it didn't want to run immediately after that. Asked what he did "changed the oil and that's all". OK. Looked it over and you could get it to start but it was blowing a TON of smoke. Pulled the dip stick and then asked "So just how much oil did you put in?" Kid looks at me and says "The same amount I put in my truck" (It's an F-250 that holds 6 quarts) BUT the Metro holds just under 4 total with the largest filter fitted. OOPS. Drained the oil, dumped some cleaner into it to prevent tons of carbon from the extra oil. She ran that thing for about a year until the kid totaled it for her...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had one, but I didn't blow it up or nothing. Its incredibly slow accelerating. The motor isn't particularly reliable. As a mater of fact that's the usual problem. The motor went south. Rebuild it if you want. Its cheap enough., Sure as shit don't need no cherry picker either to get it in.

Diesel.

Reply to
DogDiesel

I overfilled my 85 VW Golf diesel two quarts once. once. The breather fed the air intake the oil . And I got introduced to Diesel overspeeding . While getting on the turnpike entrance. Damn car turned into a oil smoking quarter mile dragster. Going around a cloverleaf. It scared the shit out of me.

Reply to
DogDiesel

***************************** If I had gotten off my dead butt earlier the difference in the gasoline for a '96 LeSaber V6 would have paid for the entire rebuild, plus enough left for a big steak. Prior to the head gasket blowing, I had noticed that it was slowly using water, I had 6 months earlier replaced the water pump as it was leaking badly. Had I had enough sense to retighten the cylinder head bolts th I most likely would not have had the problem. Years ago the Milwaukee Railroad had locomotives that used roots type superchargers at low rpm and they switched over to turbines on the high end. For some reason (which I forget) they experienced 'engine runaways' on crankcase oil. The crews discoverd the only way to stop them (of course fuel shut off didn't work) was to dump the powder fire extinguishers into the air intakes. I bet you had to scrape your leg after you got off the ramp. . .chas
Reply to
Chas

Yea, I was lucky. It was quite a ride.

Diesel.