Blazer vs Trail Blazer?

Mom's getting rid of that peice of &%$# Ferd Ranger Splash. it's been nothing but a transmission and 4 wheel drive hell.It needs to take a
Splash in the river. They have the 0% financing going on where I bought my 3500. She wants a Chevy Blazer. is either of them better than the other? Saftey,Mileage,Durability ? anyone own either one of em?
Thanks for any info..
Have a Great One ! Bob :)
I have a buddy that is a mechanic at the Chevy dealership. He loves the trailblazer. Good gas mileage he says and that they don't have to many come in with problems.
message

Thanks James any info helps !
Have a Great One ! Bob :)
message

I've got a close friend I worked with for 15 years before I tired of grease under the finger nails. He bought one (TrailBlazer)when they came out. Its his first truck, bought to replace his Earnhart Nascar Edition 87 Monte Carlo as a daily driver(It hit 47,000 miles). He hates front wheel drive. He loves the truck. Runs great, rides good, handles good, not like his car but he's happy with it. Power he says is unreal, pulls like a mule. He got his loaded, except 4X2 not 4X4. What he hasn't been happy with is the fuel mileage. He's got a light foot, most of us that worked with him hated riding with him, it was like riding with grandpa. He gets 16 in town, and 20 on the highway. The Blazer has the advantage of tried and true design and gear. I get 18 mpg in town, and 22 on the highway if I behave myself, 20 if I push it hard. Mine is a 91 with 200k on it. Blazer's wheel base is shorter, ride a little harsher, and you got to be mindful of what your doing. Get the optional locking rear axle. Whitelightning
If it helps, I just bought a 2005 Blazer, here's some of the reasons why:
Full boxed frame.(the thing is solid as a rock.) Been building it forever - (bugs worked out.) RWD when in 2WD mode - (gotta have my frame and RWD)
Eaton Locker (spec.>G80) in the back - standard http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm 4L60E Automatic Trans. - standard 4x4 - standard!!! 6 premium speaker ETR stereo with CD player - standard (the thing puts weather reports/temp. etc across the screen as well as searches for the "type" of music you like - where have I been since radios started doing this stuff??) 4.3 litre vortec - standard (been around forever) electronic shift 2 speed transfer case - standard 4 wheel disc brakes - standard 4 wheel antilock - standard (although I'm not a fan of anti-lock, these seem much better) block heater / rear window defrost and wiper/washer - standard (gets mighty cold up here) full instrumentation incl. tach -standard custom cloth high back bucket seats - standard (first seats I've had where the headrest doesn't hit my shoulder blades) trailering harness - standard aluminum wheels -standard along with all the other standard GM stuff like automatic headlights etc. Zerk fittings !! (after replacing plenty of "lubed for life" steering components / ball joints, all with low mileage, I now hunt for the "Nipples" before buying a new vehicle.) Coming from a full size pickup where everything after the steering wheel was "$ optional $" this thing looked loaded for the money.
and finally ... PRICE - for the price of a Trailblazer you could buy one Blazer for the driveway and another for the living room (makes a great conversation piece). Last year makin' them = big incentives..
I didn't realize they were still being made either. The dealers sure don't keep 'em around. More margin on the front drives I guess. I had to order mine - took 5 weeks.
I found 2005 Blazer on the site you listed: http://www.chevrolet.com/blazer /
Also on their Canadian site here: http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/2005/chevytrucks/blazer/index.html
The blazer has been returned to the Chevy website. It was missing there for a while, but they seem to have remembered to include it now !

Thanks for all the responses ! I am to understand the Trail Blazer is a front wheel drive or did I misread that one post? Don't want front wheel drive............ Thanks ! Bob :)
Hi Bob,

No.The Trailblazer is a RWD if you keep the switch to 2WD, in automatic mode it is a 2wheel RD with the front drive kicking in whenever necessary, in 4WD switch position all axles are driven permanently. Furthermore, t's got a high 4WD and a low 4WD. My TB is a 2002 model which has been running troublefree for 43000 kms so far. Well, a had a problem with the wiper motor, the dealer replaced it under warranty. It's a solid-built car with a strong frame and it runs like hell. I am driving a lot on the German Autobahn - it's fast (about 200 km/h) and it accelerates exceptionally good for a car/truck of this size. I regularly pull a big trailer during holiday season and I am very pleased with its towing capabilities. Well, there are disadvantages too: gas mileage could be better; especially when driving at high speeds its a real gas-guzzler, and you have to step hard on the brake pedal to slow it down quickly. Get the Bose sound equipment. It's fantastic.
Andreas
message

No it comes as ether rear wheel drive 2WD, or 4 WD. The new Equinox is front wheel drive . What a waste. Whitelighnting
I got my wife a new ZR2 a few weeks ago, and she loves it. Loaded to the hilt, and the rebates and financing deals were great. I don't think I could have got anywhere near that kind of deal on a Trailblazer, and I am also familiar with the Blazer with an eye down the road after warranty and I end up wrenching on it myself. Found this one on a lot about 40 miles from here, with $9500.00 worth of incentives on it. Might be worth your time to look around. Of course, if you want 4 doors, then you will need to look at the Trailblazer, as it is my understanding that only 2 door Blazers are being made now. However you might find a new '04 sitting on a lot somewhere with 4 doors.
Bryan
message

Blazer is only 2 door 4x4 this year. Apparently fleets can get them in 4 door. If you plan on using the back seat, you'll want the TrailBlazer. I made it into the back seat once but it took about 5 minutes of wiggling around to get there.
I know what you mean about getting in the back of a 2 door Blazer, as I am a rather big guy. However, my wife and I are at the point where our son is 11, all his friends are approx. his age and size. So she can tell him and his buddy to "get in". They buckle themselves up, and let themselves out. The best part is when she hits the shopping center, the kids can't hop out until she is ready to open the door let them out !
However, as has been pointed out, 2 door Blazers are not for everyone. Ours just suits us now. If we were still putting our son in a carseat for example, this vehicle would not be suitable at all.
Bryan

Have an 02 TrailBlazer EXT with 93K miles. The 4.2 Vortec I6 has performed beyond my expectations. Fuel mileage is great for such a vehicle (7 passenger - 20mpg highway). The TrailBlazer is a much larger vehicle than the S-10 based Blazer.
While I know guys with both the regular Trailblazer and the EXT model, one should strongly consider the EXT if space and people moving are the primary concerns. There is no SUV on the market with it's balance between size and usable space.
After 30 years in Chrysler products, this TrailBlazer EXT was my first venture back into the GM fold. Besides the wiper recall and a heater fan blower motor resistor, no problems. I've enjoyed every one of the 93,000 miles. Chevy will win even more new customers if all the coming products are half as good as the TrailBlazer.
message