Brake help

On my 67 chevy truck, my left rear brake wasn't not connected to the cable. I can't seem to find any information about it in my Haynes book, anyone have any simple suggestions on where to get information about it?

thanks

Reply to
Dan

John Alt scribbled:

thats what I was thinking.

I was going to do that, and thankfully I have until the 17th before I "need" to do this, thats when the car needs to be titled. I'm not going to drive it till then, (unless I get this brake thing fixed on sunday which I seriously doubt).

at the end of the cable, there's the cable with what looks to be a spring like thing surrounding a cable. At the end of that is what looks like a nut, with a bit of the cable sticking out. From the diagram I see in the shop manual for my dads suburban, (86) it looks like the end of the cable as it's supposed to look. But than again, books are decieving bastards.

I shall do that, asap!

I was able to move the cables by myself, to get them back into the bracket on the frame of the truck (if you've taken one apart, you know what I'm talking about).I think the brake works fine, but I don't know if the end of the cable constricts like I think you're saying it should.

I have the catalog from LMC, and it doesn't give a great breakdown from what i can see. I wanted an exploded diagram of a drum brake, and how to re-install the cable into the parking brake lever inside of the drum.

thanks for the help.

Reply to
Dan

The Right rear?

Seriously, I'll assume you are talking about the parking brake cable. It is a mirror image of the right. The Big Chilton books and the like that covered those years are probably still around in your local library. Back then they had good info in them. If not, pull off the right drum to see what it looks like. The parts are not interchangeable L and R, but are the same design.

As for why it's not connected, is the end of the cable still on it? It has what is called a "Stob" crimped on the end of wire. My guess is there is nothing but frayed wire sticking out. I which case, the stob may still be in the wheel and should be removed post haste. If the stob is on the end of the wire, work your parking brake and see if it works. This isn't something to do if you have to drive it any time soon, as it may very well stick "on" on the right side. If there's rust on the cables, don't even try it.

Changing the cable isn't hard, but it takes a little time. No special tools are required, other than a brake spring removal and install tool. This is something you should get if you are going to own a vehicle like this, anyway. If you order a catalog for your vehicle from LMC trucks

they will have a parts breakdown of the system for your year. There are probably several groups you can find online by Google or yahoo that have service info.

Reply to
John Alt

I haven't found a pic of your brakes yet.

George

George scribbled:

yah, I've been to that site, and about a dozen others dedicated to the 67-72 trucks. I would have done something about it today, but I had to go to Newport Oregon today.

Reply to
Dan