Chevy S-10 pickup truck head gasket?

Hi,

I noticed my truck was smoking yesterday but water was dripping out of tail pipe and then I realized it was mostly steam and not smoke coming out of tail pipe.

Guy at work said I need a new head gasket. Nothing at all in the manual about how ofter to do these.

Does this sound right? 4 cylinder engine. 5 speed standard shift. 174,000 miles on truck. Seems to run good otherwise.

How expensive a job is this?

thank you for any ideas on this.

Reply to
Digby McSnuffernutter

That sounds right if it isnt just condensation in the exhaust from sitting overnight when its cold. If so, it will go away when its been run for a while. Also if its the head gasket, the steam will smell funny and be kinda sticky(coolant). Condensation is pure water (with a little black soot from the exhaust.) If its just puffing steam like crazy-head gasket. My *guess* on how much is......$800 Also, if it is the gasket, it will get worse and it is loosing coolant so it might overheat on you at any time.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

That would be my first question to the poster, are you having to add coolant all the time? If its a head gasket the radiator is going to be low on coolant. Also pull the plugs and look at them, one or two of them are going to be very very clean.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning