Congress May Take Away Your Truck!

The US Senate is going to vote Tuesday July 29 on amendments to the Energy Bill that

could leave you without the kinds of pickup trucks and SUVs millions of Americans have come to enjoy. It only takes 30 seconds to act now and send a note to your senator with a few mouse clicks.

READ BELOW:

Send Your Message At (cut and paste this into your web browser):

http:/suvoa.grassroots.com

Oh Brother... It's Big Brother!! America's 24 million SUV owners are under attack

again. A pair of liberal, U.S. Senators has fallen in lock step with the extremists who

are dead set on dictating what kind of vehicle you drive. And they have your SUV on the

most wanted list.California's Sen. Diane Feinstein and Illinois' Sen. Richard Durbin are licking their liberal chops at the prospect of passing amendments to the Energy Bill that would essentially force SUVs, pickups and minivans to meet standards equal to cars.

We all want better mileage but unrealistic government mandates will lead to serious tradeoffs that most people don't want: vehicles that cost more, are smaller, less powerful, less safe, and far less useful.Picture the smallest SUV or pickup you've ever seen and that's the type that consumers would be left with. But that's not stopping elitist liberals, Hollywood millionaires or radical enviro-terrorists from claiming to know better than you what kind of automobile to drive. They don't care that SUV fuel economy has improved by 40%. They snub many hard-working Americans who consider SUVs, pickups and vans essential for work, like our hometown rescue squads and law enforcement units. They dismiss the fact that SUVs are as safe as cars. All they care about is taking away your vehicle, your choice and your freedom.

These reckless amendments threaten the very existence of SUVs, pickups and vans and

roadway safety. If the Feinstein or Durbin amendments pass then you, your passengers

and your roadway neighbors are at risk because the proposed standards would set

extreme, unsafe, fuel economy levels for SUVs, minivans and pickups. Legislating

yet-to-be invented automotive engineering advances is as irresponsible as legislating a

cure for cancer. It's a legislative menace to the safety of America's highways and it's

millions of SUV, minivan and light truck drivers and passengers. Cars are not trucks!

You can do something about it. We need to put the brakes on these dangerous amendments immediately. There is no time to lose. Congress will vote on the Feinstein and Durbin amendments as early as Tuesday, July 29 and we need you to take action against these destructive proposals NOW before it's too late.

The Sport Utility Vehicle Owners of America (SUVOA) is recruiting the 24 million

American SUV owners and others who depend on pickups and vans to join the battle

against these self-appointed Car Czars and their anti-SUV obsession. The first thing that must be done is to show Congress that we take our freedoms seriously. And that we take attacks on our freedoms even more seriously.

Right now you can do that by signing a letter rejecting the irresponsible amendments proposed by Feinstein and Durbin and sending it to your two U.S. Senators. Together, we can stop this assault on our freedom to choose the vehicle that best meets our needs. Together, we can defeat absurd legislative proposals promoted by ambitious politicians and their willing special interest zealots. But we can only do it with you.

Send Your Message At (cut and paste this into your web browser): http:/suvoa.grassroots.com

Reply to
Ron

"Could"... yeah and I "could" win the lottery. Kills me when people only post 1/2 truths.

The bill proposes that the CAFE be raised from it's 27.5mpg current amount to 40mpg by2014. Ten years ago _car_ were getting 10mph and gas prices were about 10 cent/gallon. What do you think the prices will be like in 10 years? Just in the past 5 years hybrid cars have come into main use. What do you think the technology will like in another 10 years. Should be still be dependent on fossil fuels 10 years from now?

Of course the auto manufactures are screaming "foul"! They always do. They did when CAFE was made and each time the ratio is raised. Of course they don't want to spend more money to further the technological advancement of a world that is not dependent on fuels that pollute. Let someone else spend the money.

Personally, I don't think anyone needs to drive a polluting vehicle that gets less then 15mph... Esp. when they always seen to have one person in them and are usually just used as a status symbol. But people should be allowed to drive these vehicles. We should also allow the development of better fuel economy and cleaner fuels.

Again... 10 years to increase the _average_ mpg from 27.5 to 40mpg. Not a bill deal. Still, the bill won't pass. The auto and petroleum industry can afford to pay off the politicians.

millionaires

Reply to
Todd Copeland

Gas was 10¢/gallon in 1993? I must have missed that. Average gas mileage was 10 mpg in 1993? I must have missed that too. I guess a

1/2 truth is better than a blatant lie in this case.

Is this where the "conspiracy theory" starts to kick in?

Is it okay if someone decides what you drive? Your last sentence is the only one that makes any sense - but only to the point where you suggest that "we" should "allow" the development...

Sounds like a 50% increase to me. No big deal?

Reply to
scrape at mindspring dot com

I stand corrected. When I was making such a statement I should have taken a moment to actually research what I was stating, which I did not.

In 1973 the cost per gallon of gasoline in the US was about $.50/gallon and by the same account is now about $2.00/gallon. In 1973 the average mpg of vehicles in the US was 13.4 mpg and in 2001 was

22.1mpg.

I certainly don't want to get into a democrat vs. republican thread... I just want to point out that the new CAFE goal that the bill proposes is not an indication that the government wants to tell anyone they cannot drive a SUV. It simply is a message that the increase fuel efficiency of vehicles needs to continue.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

50¢/gallon sounds about right for the early 70s. It's $1.43 here now which is a ways off from $2.00.

The fact that it's directed solely at SUVs, pickups and vans seems to indicate otherwise.

Reply to
scrape at mindspring dot com

_My_ post was not. The oringal posters made it sound like the Bill was aimed at these owners. I pointed out that the Bill only aims at increasing the mpg/vehicle over the next 10 years. This can be accomplished many ways. The orginal poster was trying to distort the facts of the Bill.

Reply to
Todd Copeland