E85?? MTBE?

I have a 1990 5.7 GMC Suburban. Recently I saw a station nearby with E85 fuel for 1.89 vs. reg. unleaded for 2.25. My vehicle doesnt fit this list:

I assume I cant use the E85.Could I mix it? Could it improve my emissions? I dont know that my 'burban will fail, but trying to help make sure it will pass seems like the better idea.

I wonder if there is a programmed chip thay would allow the E85 use in my older truck.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Steve

Reply to
jeepsteve92xj

Your truck will never be able to use E85 without replacing everything in the fuel system and changes in the engine electronics. While it may look like an easy way to save money, it isn't because unlike the 10% ethanol mixture, E85 is corrosive and will damage your fuel system components. Besides, even if you could use E85, your MPG would be greatly reduced, your fuel cost per mile would probably increase.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

E85?? MTBE? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Oct 27, 2006, 7:58pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jeepsteve92xj) I have a 1990 5.7 GMC Suburban. Recently I saw a station nearby with E85 fuel for 1.89 vs. reg. unleaded for 2.25. My vehicle doesnt fit this list:

So Iassume I cant use the E85. Could I mix it? Could it improve my emissions? I dont know that my 'burban will fail, but trying to help make sure it will pass seems like the better idea. I wonder if there is a programmed chip thay would allow the E85 use in my older truck. Any thoughts or suggestions? Steve

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, it is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

Thansk for the reply I did read about the corrosion. My mpg couldnt be much worse than it is now. It still doesnt shift quite right, but greatly improved now that I replaced the TV cable. In and out of OD above 65mph wiht any grade or high head winds.

Steve

Rich B wrote:

Reply to
jeepsteve92xj

Oh yes it could. I recently saw a listing and for vehicles that got around 13 mpg it dropped to less then 10. The current E85 is just another gvt waste of your tax money. You pay to subsidize farmers to grow a crop that takes more energy to grow then you get out of the alcohol it produces. It only makes sense in vehicle expressly designed to use ONLY alcohol or a specific blend.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher