Instrument panel on an '03 Silverado

I seem to recall reading something pertaining to this, but can't find it. I know there was some class action suit filed for those that paid to have theirs repaired while under warranty, but I'm not among that group.

Basically, the oil pressure gauge reads high. It never goes to zero, and the range it deflects is the same as if it were settling to zero when off. The fuel gauge started doing the same thing today after filling the tank. The needle pegs full clockwise and "zeroes" at about 3/4 tank.

Occasionally, the tach has read about 1000 rpm too high on a long trip, but this has only happened once or twice, but I sense a pattern here.

Is this a problem with the stepper motors on each gauge? If so, is it something reasonably easy to repair for someone with a modicum of mechanical aptitude?

If it's something else, would I do just as well to buy a new cluster and be done with it?

I don't see individual stepper motors listed on rockauto.com, but that's as far as I've investigated so far.

Thanks (English for "gracias")

Reply to
scrape

Yep, Bad stepper motors. They have been replacing them if they fall under 7 years/70,000 miles. Plus they have also been covering others outside that amount as well.

GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION - TO CADILLAC, CHEVROLET AND GMC DEALERS Subject:Bulletin GMP07-174 - Special Coverage Adjustment #07187- Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle FunctionMessage #:VSU20071575 ? DESCRIPTION: SPECIAL COVERAGE Adjustment #07187- SEPTEMBER 28, 2007

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. o Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge. o This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. o Refer to Special Coverage Adjustment #07187 for further information

EFFECTIVE DATE: Initial owner mailing is scheduled to begin: Phase 1 9-28-07

GENERAL INFORMATION: Instrument panel clusters (IPC) required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from the Electronic Service Centers. Refer to GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 1.5.9, for specific procedures. To eliminate keeping the customer's vehicle overnight, customers are being told to contact the dealership to arrange a service appointment and to supply their VIN. Dealers are to pre-order the IPC identifying the part from the Electronic Parts Catalog using the VIN filter so it will be at the dealership on the day of the scheduled appointment. o 1. The customer will contact the dealership to arrange an appointment and provide their VIN.

  1. Contact a GM Authorized Electronic Service Center to order an exchange and arrange for delivery of the pre-exchange product.
  2. All units will be shipped FedEx Ground.
  3. After removal of the defective unit, return the defective core to the Electronic Service Center using the supplied pre-paid Automatic Return shipping (ARS) label.
  4. Failure to return the product within 30 days to the Electronic Service Center will result in a charge to the Dealer's Open Parts Account.

Check with a dealer and they may cover it. if not the cluster isn't cheap BUT the steeper motors themselves are not all that bad in price.

has the process if you're interested. There is an updated part that is the one you want. EBay has them listed.

Nope. GM has been covering them and the supplies are sort of limited due to how many have gone bad.

Reply to
Steve W.

I've seen the motors on eBay for a reasonable price. I'm at 5.5 years, but 130K miles. I'll check with my favorite local dealer, but I expect I can hear the laughing already.

Thanks.

Reply to
scrape

I learned something new!!