306 1.9TD Electrical probs: instrument panel/central locking

Sorry if this is verbose. I am looking for some sensible advice as I am heavily pregnant (baby is due in 2 days time) and my car has just let me down when I need it most.....

I have a 1997 (R) 306 1.9TD, with 66K on the clock. Until now, incredibly reliable.

In the snowy cold weather last week, the car was reluctant to start (glow-plugs?) but later in the day when temperature had warmed up it started no problem, although radio needed code putting back in. Took it for a spin to make sure battery was fully charged in case I had drained it trying to start the car earlier.

5mins into the trip and the needles on each of the dials on the instrument panel flickered about then went to nothing. Mileometer/trip went to 8888888.

Took it straight to a Peugeot Service centre who had a quick look and suggested maybe I need a new instrument panel, but car is driveable in meantime. So booked car in for service etc, but am waiting until after baby is born. When I switched on to leave Peugeot garage, instrument panel came back to life again.

Perhaps there is an electrical shorting somewhere and having a warm engine dried it out and fixed it?

However, since then the central locking hasn?t worked at all. Nothing from the remote key fob, and even using the key in the door doesn?t open the rest of the car.

tried the car again yesterday and same electrical problem on dashboard

- including radio code and this time I noticed I also have no hazards and no heated rear windscreen.

I suspect it is a fuse that has blown somewhere... can anyone offer any advice or knowledge please?

Thanks, Helen

Reply to
hfe

Check that the battery terminals are clean and tight. It sounds as if the car is losing power if you needed to put in a radio code. Otherwise it is a bad connection somewhere else. It is not a fuse which has blown, as the problem is intermittent, but most likely the salty atmosphere has done it's worst on some connector.

Need a new dashboard? Typical dealer, change everything in sight till the problem goes away, far easier than actually working out what has gone wrong.

Reply to
brian

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

I too have noticed something similar on my 1998R. I don't think it is the glow plugs since I had mine replaced last year. Most likely it is the battery. Mine is still the original and was sluggish cranking first thing in the recent cold mornings. Always managed to start it, sometimes in a clound of unburned fuel smoke.

Reply to
Martin Dixon

I have the exact same problem on my 1999 citroen xantia HDI. - V. similar electrics to the peugeot. Car cranks over fine (therefore battery and terminals OK). Fuses are all OK. Central locking by key and by remote fob don't work. When ever I try to use the electric window and draw some power it soon cuts out(electric window), the tacho and speedo go all over the place and radio will cut out, interior clock/temp display switch off, fuel/temp gauge drop to zero. Headlights still work fine as do the dash lights. The car also now occasionally (1/5) cranks over and will not start as if there's an immobiliser or fuel pump problem. Did you get your car sorted Helen? This is so annoying! Must be a common problem. - Anyone BTDT? Sounds like it must be a corroded terminal somewhere but I don't really know where to start. All the blades on the fuses looked nice and shiny. Does the main power for the internal fuse box take off from the starter motor terminal and not the battery? Cheers, Rob

Reply to
rob