Low Coolant light for 2002 2500 Burban

Any one know what the normal time/mileage is to flush the coolant? the light juts cme on last night, got 78K.

Reply to
Bryon

Greetings,

Normal flushing interval for Dexcool (the red stuff) is either 100,000 miles or 150,000 miles - I've seen both recommended. However, your Low Coolant Light has nothing to do with the need to flush the cooling system. It means that you need to fill it!

There is always some loss over time, and keeping the overflow bottle to the "Full" mark is especially important with Dexcool because haveing the level constantly low can lead to problems.

Good luck - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

general rule seems to be don't use tap water to fill it, use Distilled. Some places are carrying prestone in premixed form, ie its already

50-50 in the bottle. This is a good choice if its available in your area

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

YOU WANT TO USE DEXCOOL, NOT DILUTED PRESTONE

V.B.

Reply to
V.B.

Prestone has a diluted dexcool, its called Prestone Dex-Cool Quick Fill, a

50-50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water. Prestone is a brand name, not a type, they make at least five different formulas of coolant..

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

OK, Thanks for clearing that up!!

V.B.

Reply to
V.B.

My local shop expert says that you should go 3 yrs max regardless of mileage. If you are losing coolant, you have a leak. The GM system is sealed by the filler cap and there is no loss over time as with the old fashioned overflow tank systems. If the level has fallen in the plastic tank, you have a leak.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Thanks guys, well now the light doesnt come back on, and I havn't done anything (and not a drop on the drive way) Weird thing, I had the car in acc mode for about 1 hour at the drive-in theater the other night, that's when it came on, and it hasn't since..could it be some weird electrical thing that reset itself ? Ps Good to know about the Dexcool, I've never seen red coolant, thought something was wrong!

Reply to
Bryon

The holding tank isn't sealed on any GM vehicle BUT the loss over time should still only be a pint in a year or so either way. Any more loss than that and you have a leak somewhere.

Reply to
Steve W.

had the SES light pop up on my 03 envoy, when the code checked at local parts store, Advance to plug them, it was low coolant, and the light had gone out time wife got there, dang baby shower :) so had her get a jug of coolant, now they got a new type, that will mix with any color coolant, old or new style, any way it was a bit low in the overflow bottle, just enough to trigger the code and make it quit later, guy at store told her the sensors are sensitive and dont take much to trigger it.

Reply to
Craig M